Killer Serpent star?

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Stephen
Minnow Member

Killer Serpent star?

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:27 am

I've had this clam that (since I got him just under 3 weeks ago) has never fully extended his mantel. It was known from the start the the clam was in a weakened state. He appeared to be recovering as his mantel has been extending further. He had also attached to the rock where he had been placed. Yesterday morning a Serpent star decided to mess with the clam for about an hour. This was the only time I had seen this. The star was placing one or more arms onto the clam making the clam close. This morning the clam is dead. He has shriveled up and no longer fills half of his shell. He has also lost most of his color and retracted his foot. I checked for predators such as pyram snails and saw none. Have you ever heard of a star attacking a clam?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:35 am

have not heard of that on a serpent star (was it a green brittle) the other thought would be the clam was already beginning to die and the serpent star sensed it and was getting in the buffet line first.

Archie has had lots of clams and still does I will see if we can get him to respond

Stephen
Minnow Member

Post by Stephen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:27 pm

It is the solid red star (none brittle). Now the star keeps touching the sebea anemome. The star must have a death wish or something. If he doesn't stop pretty soon he will be coming out or maybe moved to the sump/refugium for a while.

Archie
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Archie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:51 pm

very unlikely the death of the clam is result of the serpent star.
it is not uncommon for a clam(you did not state what type)to die overnight.
you state that the claim was already in a poor state to begin with.
it seems you had a clam close to death anyway(course i am just speculating,
i really alot more particulars before coming to a conclusion.

i had one of dersas just die recentely, had the clam for approx. 6 years
went from about 6 inches across to well over 12 inches across.
no apparent reason for death, just one of the things about life.