PAR Meter

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
C-21 USAF
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

PAR Meter

Post by C-21 USAF » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 am

Does anyone have one?

If not, all the reef heads should go in together and get one. There's so much information we'd learn about light levels in our tank, bulb longevity, running carbon, different reflectors, surface agitation and the list goes on and on.

Since it's not something you use all the time, we should be able to share fairly easily and we know G-Man will hold it for us when needed.

Anyone interested?

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Re: PAR Meter

Post by Sandy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Might need to sweet talk Gerwin :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:11 pm

well so here is the deal,
I have a PAR meter already. and it cost 350.00. And I am sorry but it is to much money for me to let leave the store. If it where to get broken, lost etc. it would make for a uncomfortable situation between customers and friends that I do not want to risk. Sorry if you do not like that stand.
Now for those of you that will be on the tour, I will bring it along and I will check your tanks for free when your turn comes around. So there, now it costs no one but me money and you will have to put your tank on the tour to see your PAR or you can buy one for yourselves.

I am more advanced then some of you thought,,,,huh :lol:

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Gerwin helps us out a lot already...$350 isn't much split say...seven ways?

I know there are about that many steady reef customers (that probably all know each other already) that could go in on this. I'm not going to name names; yet....

Come on, who wants to split one? I know we're not a "reef club", but most clubs have these and we should be able to work it out.

Maybe it'll sell itself on the TOT's.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 am

I might be willing to chip in if my budget allows.

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:07 pm

you know something, par meters are nice, but not necessary.
i have been keeping corals for a long time. i mean a long time.

i have been successful keeping corals under no, ho, vho, metal halide, chroma 50, chroma 75, ultra lume, 5500k 6500k , 10000, 14000k, 20000k bulbs. etc etc.

like gerwin said lighting is only a portion of the big picture.

in my book it is all about water quality and water flow.....the problem with today's hobby is that the reef enthusiast is all about the fancy techno gadgets and not focusing on the basics of reef keeping.

just my 2 cents. what do i know....not much i guess
themadreefer

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Heck Archie,,,,,,, if it's only two cents,,,,,,,,, I'll listen. :mrgreen:

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 am

LOL Your to much Sandy :lol: :lol: :lol:

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 am

Archie, Archie....relax buddy...I think you missed the point with all due respect.

I think you have a point as well, but that's not what I'm going for here. (for the record I've seen descent tanks with crappy flow, but that's another story)

I brought this up because you have test kits right? I mean, I'm sure the majority of everyone has test kits because as a prudent hobbist you should keep your parameters in check.

Think of the PAR meter as nothing more than a test kit to check your lighting parameters and maybe improve a little on your current lighting set-up...I'm not advocating buying a whole new light set-up just because of the PAR results. Just maximize what we already have and help us determine when to change bulbs. The PAR meter is ONLY a reefkeeping tool, not THE secret to success.

Now I KNOW I don't know much, so we'll call that my cent! :lol: :lol:

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 am

you can not compare a par meter to a water test kit. water test kits are used to test values that are important into respect for water quality. we use water test kits to obtain a more finite value of the readings. par meters on the other hand is a more general type values for its purpose. unless you know what the par value of a particular had caught coral is in respect to were it was collected, the reef enthusiast will be using par values as recommended by others, and not actual reef conditions.

with due respect, the average reef enthusiast does not understand and/or knows the basic fundamentals of reef keeping.

themadreefer

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 am

I will stay out of the test kit discussion and will only add that I will also chip in or Gerwins Par meter. As stated above, Gerwin does alot for us and I have noooo problem doing this.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:19 am

The intent of this thread was to discuss purchasing a PAR meter for the group...Arch, I take it you're not interested..got it :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Sounds like some interest has been stirred...perhaps we can decide something on the TOT's.

If anyone else has any ideas on this (except Archie) :lol: :lol: :lol: please chime in!

Nothing but love Archie!!!!! :mrgreen: