Just wondering

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Just wondering

Post by Redfish » Wed May 26, 2010 6:02 am

I am watching a tank build on Reef Central. The man who is doing this build has really done a good job in his sump area,(lol He has done agood job all around with this tank build) the wires are all neat and tidy, he has built a PVC stand for his skimmer to sit on to allow more water in his sump area and he has painted his drain and return lines, looks really good. It could look better, if he were to also paint the PVC pipe that goes into his filter bag and the PVC stand that his skimmer sits on, to match the drain and return lines. My question: Can you paint the PVC lines that would be under water in the sump without a detrimental effect on anything in the tank? Just trying to get some ideas for our new tank. 8)

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Just wondering

Post by Gerwin » Wed May 26, 2010 6:24 am

I know a guy who painted his pvc in his tank black with a nontoxic spray paint, but honestly why would you risk any side effects especially if its in the sump?
Gerfucius ask, Is the risk worth the reward? answer to 99% of the reasonable people =no
Gerfuucius also believes the proverb > Greater the risk the Greater the reward, holds value but again in this scenario there is no reward,
imagine the questioning in the brain when the life in the reef is not doing well......"is it the paint, maybe I should have not done the paint, or the paint could not be the problem, could it?"

C-21 USAF
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Just wondering

Post by C-21 USAF » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I have a frag rack painted with black Krylon...no problems here and I know other's do it as well.

Just give it PLENTY of cure time.