convict acting weird

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

convict acting weird

Post by Damion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:55 pm

One of my convicts is acting real weird over the past few minutes...
He is swimming really fast, then splashing at the top of the tank, then swims back to the bottom and mellows out. He has done this 3-4 times now in the past 15 minutes...

Keep in mind this fish is about 7(ish) years old and typically not very active other than the occasional poke at my pink convict.

phisher
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: convict acting weird

Post by phisher » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Possibly not enough oxygen in the tank? Those big fish need a lot of O2, make sure you have plenty of surface agitation. O2 gets used up more rapidly in warmer temps may explain why he's doing it all of a sudden.

Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Post by Damion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:35 pm

I may be wrong, but I do not think that is the case because:
1. The tank is the same setup that he has been living in for years (albeit much cleaner) and the settings on the waterfall thing are the same
2. I just added a reef looking thing for him to hide behind which has bubbles (I bought a bubbler made for a 10 gallon aquarium just for the bubbles)

I did think that maybe, just maybe - I may be over-aerating the tank. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm

is it the striped one by chance?

Damion
Angel Member

Post by Damion » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes it is :)

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:36 am

and you see my friend that is just a sm example of my powers :lol: .
Those marks you mentioned on the stripe convict from a previous post....it would be reasonable with two male convicts to have some fighting every now and then, those areas that looked roughed up are consistent with fish fighting damage and then your description of the movements are also consistent with a chase. Now it appears you are deeply interested in your fish and watch them often, I would think you would notice a little picking by the two, so possibly a infection with some irritation to the fish.
That being said and drawing on my 36 years in the business and knowing convicts, (they got that name from a combination of jail bird stripes but mostly attitude) I am inclined to go with opinion 1 based off the norm.

Damion
Angel Member

Post by Damion » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:50 am

Gerwin wrote: That being said and drawing on my 36 years in the business and knowing convicts, (they got that name from a combination of jail bird stripes but mostly attitude) I am inclined to go with opinion 1 based off the norm.
Umm..I am not sure what opinion 1 was, lol - You think he is sick?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:23 am

Gerwin wrote:and you see my friend that is just a sm example of my powers :lol: .
Those marks you mentioned on the stripe convict from a previous post....it would be reasonable with two male convicts to have some fighting every now and then,
those areas that looked roughed up are consistent with fish fighting damage and then your description of the movements are also consistent with a chase.
=opt 1. Now it appears you are deeply interested in your fish and watch them often, I would think you would notice a little picking by the two,
so possibly a infection with some irritation to the fish.
= opt 2.
That being said and drawing on my 36 years in the business and knowing convicts, (they got that name from a combination of jail bird stripes but mostly attitude) I am inclined to go with opinion 1 based off the norm.

Damion
Angel Member

Post by Damion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:08 am

OIC...Sorry - just had a hard time following that one for some reason, lol :)