Question???

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Question???

Post by Sandy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Bristleworms, friend or foe????

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:01 am

Certainly not friend, but, as to foe, it varies by degree. I'd get rid of any I could before they get out of hand. Those little 2-inchers have a way of turning into monsters.

You'll have to bait them out or flush them out. A bag made of pantyhose with a piece of shrimp in it can lure them and hang them up so you can remove them. To get them out of a rock, put the rock in a bucket, and cover the rock with newspaper wetted with tank water. They're more likely to exit the rock in the darkness.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:07 pm

How about the arrow crabs, how good are they at controlling bristleworms?

I pull out the ones I can catch when I scrap down the glass, but there are still plenty more left in my tank. I was thinking about getting a couple of arrow crabs to see if they would keep the level down.

Thanks for the info.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Arrow crabs are good at "controlling" a lot of things including, unfortunately, things you've paid good money for. I wouldn't recommend them.

Sandy
Discus Member

Post by Sandy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:39 pm

What kind of things do they (arrow crabs) tear up other than bristleworms?

I like the idea of the pantyhose trap. May have to give it a try.

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:10 pm

A better question would be what don't they tear up. Arrow crab popularity, I believe, comes largely from their unusual appearance coupled with their relatively inexpensive price. Maybe that and there's a lot of them out there to collect, and they're hardy and make it through shipping.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree with Doug to a extent...on arrow crabs, as al crabs imo are creatures of opportuniy, omnivors. If the are lots of worms the will eat those, when they run out well what ever their little claws want, including fish.

As far as bristle worms, I don't have a hit on them. I believe they help eat excess detritus, etc. They keep the substrate stirred up. And although I have read of the "EVIL" killer bristle worm I have yet to see one in my 30 years of this hobby, now I have seen some on dieing organisms but am pretty sure they were on their way out anyways. That does by no means says they are all good, I'm sure in moderation no problem a sign of maybe over feeding etc would explain a population explosion.

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Although I've not experienced it personally, I've had people insist bristleworms killed their anemones by attacking them below the gravel line. If it's a difference between leaving them alone for some perceived value, or picking them out out of erring on the side of caution, I'd pick the latter.

I also personally think actual detritus is of no nutritional value to anything-- if so, the bacteria would break it down to nothingness.

Sandy
Discus Member

Post by Sandy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:45 pm

Sounds like I will ditch the arrow crab idea. I may try the pantyhose idea.
Thanks for the info.