Tank dimensions

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Tank dimensions

Post by Sandy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:02 pm

What are the dimensions of a 125 gallon tank and a 150 gallon tank?

And does anyone have plans for a stand and canopy for a 125 or 150 gallon tank they would like to share?

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:16 pm

Nominal base dimensions are 72"x18", which can vary according to manufacturer and type of trim used. Height on a 125 is typically around 22", 24" on a 135, again with variance from maker to maker.

There was no standard 150 in my day, but I see some that are 60"x24" and some that are 72"x18" based out there.

Important considerations in do-it-yourself stand and canopy building:

1. Likely no tank leakage or pressure crack warranty from tank manufacturer if not on commercially produced cabinet, and in some cases if not on the tank makers own cabinet. Think about changing the finish or hardware of a purchased cabinet or canopy to suit your tastes.

2. Unless you are or you're in really tight with a cabinet maker, you're probably going to spend more making your own, and end up with something not as nice as store bought.

Having said that:

3. Make sure stand is level in all directions, with no more than about 1/8" tolerance, and don't trust the floor where you put it to be totally level, especially in certain slab houses, e.g. if the stand rocks, don't assume the weight of the tanks will level it out to the floor-- the stand might be good and the floor uneven. 125-150 gallons of water on the floor is no fun to wake up to, and you can only imagine what 300 is like-- been there, done that.

4. Water rots wood. Protect from drips and salt spray any way you can, especially inside the canopy. White marine epoxy paint helps protect, and also has the benefit of increasing reflection of stray light down into the tank. Spend the extra money on stainless steel wood screws.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info.

May just have to see what kind of deal I can get out of Gerwin. :shock: :wink: