Glo Fish Factoid, emailed to me, copied to you

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Glo Fish Factoid, emailed to me, copied to you

Post by Gerwin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:52 pm

The Story of GloFish Fluorescent Fish
GloFish fluorescent fish are beautiful and unique fish that were originally bred to help detect
environmental pollutants. It was only recently that scientists realized the public's interest in sharing the
benefits of this research. They are safe for the environment and make wonderful fish for new hobbyists
and experienced enthusiasts alike. The fish are now available in three breathtaking colors, including
Starfire Redâ„¢, Electric Greenâ„¢, and Sunburst Orangeâ„¢. The following information is designed to
address some common curiosities about the fish:
Where do GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish come from?
GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were developed by adding a natural fluorescence gene to a zebrafish egg.
The developing fish incorporated the gene into its DNA and then passed the fluorescent color to its
offspring through traditional breeding. Because of this, each line of GloFish® fluorescent fish originates
from a single fish. For example, all of the Starfire Red™ GloFish® are descended from a single red
fluorescent zebrafish.
Do you have to add a fluorescence gene to every fish before it hatches?
No. Today's GloFish fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of fluorescent zebrafish that were
originally developed several years ago. Each new GloFish fluorescent fish inherits its unique color
directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and passes the color along to its
offspring.
Do GloFish fluorescent fish glow?
Fluorescent fish absorb light and then re-emit it. This creates the perception that they are glowing,
particularly when shining a black light on the fish in a dark room. For tips on the best way to display
your GloFish fluorescent fish, please see www.glofish.com/display.asp.
What are the differences between GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish & other zebrafish?
Aside from their brilliant color, GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish are the same as other zebrafish in every
way. This includes everything from general care and temperature preferences to growth rate and
nutritional needs.
How exactly do GloFish fluorescent zebrafish help in the fight against pollution?
Fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. To achieve this goal,
scientists are in the process of adding a "switch" that will cause the always fluorescing zebrafish to
selectively fluoresce in the presence of environmental toxins. A non-fluorescing fish will signal that the
water is safe, while a fluorescing fish will signal trouble. Although these fish are not currently available,
scientists hope to complete this work soon. To help further the research, a portion of the proceeds from
sales of all GloFish fluorescent fish goes directly to the lab where these fish were originally created.
For more detailed information about GloFish® fluorescent fish, please see www.glofish.com/about.asp or
contact info@glofish.com.
Please note that GloFish fluorescent fish are licensed under one or more of the following United States Patents Nos: 7,135,613,
7,150,979, and 7,166,444, as well as other pending applications. Because of this, intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or
trade, of any offspring of GloFish fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited.

rebecca
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Glo Fish Factoid, emailed to me, copied to you

Post by rebecca » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 am

Wow that is very interesting.
It is amazing what you can do in the lab with gene alteration.