Plants that were in Sandy's pond

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
rebecca
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Plants that were in Sandy's pond

Post by rebecca » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 am

So my mom got some plants from Ger.
She gave me a handful to go in my tank.
I am not sure of the name of them, but I think it might be called anacharis.
(Well that is what it looks like)

When I put them in the tank, they had debris and bits and pieces falling off in the tank. Now my water is cloudy and looks a little dirty. I don't think this is bad, but it is not appealing. Can I take the plants out and kinda rub them under some water to get any extra fluff off of them, or would that kill the plant? Or does this mean they could be dying?
I honestly don't think they are dying because they are still green and look fine.

I am new to freshwater plants and am actually interested in doing more with them.
I have a couple of lily bulbs in there too that I hope will grow!
Please give me some input! Thanks

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: Plants that were in Sandy's pond

Post by Doug » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Anacharis leaves are kind of delicate. I would fill the kitchen sink with room temp water, and dunk and shake each bunch under water to loosen and dislodge debris. Don't, however, leave them soaking in the chlorinated water.