Copepods... questions :)

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Copepods... questions :)

Post by ReneM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:36 am

Well I got my tiggerpods Saturday, waiting until lights out to put them in so more of them would make it to the rocks.. Now I am wondering, are they there? I can't see even a one of them. How can I tell? Do I need to add these guys in periodically for my scooter blenny to be sure he has enough to eat? Or is it a one time thing and they multiply like mad?

And how do I tell he is eating anyways? (I worry! LOL)

phisher
Discus Member

Re: Copepods... questions :)

Post by phisher » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Best way to pod-watch is at night. Go in after the tank room has been dark for a few hours with a small flashlight, you might be surprised what you see.

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Will they get a chance to multiply before they're eaten up? Do I have to replenish them? How do I know scoot is eating them?

Thanks!

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:03 pm

since there is no firm answer on your question, as they are hard to see and count :wink:
I have been recommending adding them monthly. We have to remember we are dealing with closed systems (not linked to the ocean,.. we attempt to recreate) and for that reason their lively hood depends on phytoplankton to eat and so on and so on, the odds are in favor of them not keeping up supply for your fish demands in the long run as they are on the bottom of the food chain and everything eats them given the chance including corals.

Short answer restock depending on your tank size and inhabitants or as your pocket book allows :)

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm

I bought a few bottles from Gerwin, now my tank has tons of them in there. Takes awhile, then one day Bam. They come out when the MH lights shut off, cover all of the live rock and the tank glass.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Redfish wrote:I bought a few bottles from Gerwin, now my tank has tons of them in there. Takes awhile, then one day Bam. They come out when the MH lights shut off, cover all of the live rock and the tank glass.
Are you adding phytoplankton or anything else special to your tank?

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Not adding anything. Seems to go in spurts though. One day I will have two tons of them in the tank, then it will go down to one ton for a few weeks then back up again.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Typically the population seem to explode a few times then level out. Some will survive unless you have a tank full of stuff that predates on them.

Scooters/mandarins are tough to keep healthy in a small tank. You may need to supplement your pod population in a 40g+ system. Another option is a small refugium, the small in-tank mounted ones should work fine. Fill it with some live rock rubble and maybe some hearty macro algae. This will give your pods a safe place to breed but yet some of them trickle out into your display area to feed your scooter.

I would also advise against adding anything else that will compete with your scooter for food, like small wrasses, in any future livestock plans.