Book recommendations

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Stephen
Minnow Member

Book recommendations

Post by Stephen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 pm

Could you recommend a few books to read covering 1) Reef tanks, 2) Corals, 3) Invertabrates, 4) Fish, and 5) saltwater aquariums in general?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:16 am

Aquarium Corals

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide

The Natural Reef Aquarium

The Reef Aquarium Vol 1 ,2,3

but there are many more that I'm not familiar with that are good I'm sure

above are mainly for the reef aquarium

The Pocket Expert Guide to Reef Aquarium Fishes

Pocket Expert Guide Marine Fishes

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:22 am

books revisited,
Now tha tByers has bought books out the ..., maybe he can give us his unbias opinion on some of the top choices?

Stephen
Minnow Member

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Books I have read recently:

Within the following books I found tips and tricks to reduce the maintenence time and make things much easier. There were answers to basic questions that I could not find the answers to anywhere else (except Gerwin, which with the number of questions I had would have left him little time to help anyone else). I quickly realized one aspect of the info that I came across, especially on the web, was that most of the time I didn't know the type of tank the person giving the info had. Reef vs fish only, one fish only vs another fish only, high wattage lighting vs low wattage lighting, just to name a few, can make a difference in the accuracy of the info as related to your set-up. These books will not only make a good quick reference library but can save you money. One of the books showed how to set up a simple quarantine tank that alone saved more money than what the book cost.

I listed the books as "very good" to "good" (top to bottom) based upon my opinion as related to where I am in the hobby. Any of these books will supply you with a wealth of information especially the background and basics of the hobby. These books were written several years ago and there have been advances in the hobby since. However with the knowledge from these books you can make better judgments concerning the conflicting ideas you come across such as those found on the web.

Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook - Robert Goldstein - (1997) Very good book. A lot of info about tank set-ups, all the different types of equipment, care and feeding of fish, corals, and just about everything else. Excellent for beginners, like myself, as well as those that have been in the hobby for several years who may want to upgrade their equipment or systems.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - Robert Fenner - (2001) Another very good book. A lot of the same as the above book but with new info and planners and tips. More of the book is devoted to marine life. Well worth the money.

Ultimate Marine Aquariums - Michael Paletta - (2003) Reviews of 50 beautiful aquariums with aquarium profiles which include info on owner, tank, circulation, filtration, lighting, system parameters and chemistry, livestock, feeding, and notes. Most of this info for all 50 tanks is averaged and summarized also.

Corals, A Quick Reference Guide - Julian Sprung - (1999) If you plan to include corals in your tank this is a good book with a lot of pictures. Gives pronunciations, common names, region, discription, placement, and similar corals. Could have included more info instead of bar graphs for lighting, water flow, aggressiveness, and hardiness.

The New Marine Aquarium - Michael Paletta - (2001) This is a good set-up and stocking guide. Recommended.

I have read others but they have been topic specific such as marine algae, and protein skimming and activated carbon.

I have ordered The Reef Aquarium Vol 1 from Gerwin which should be in any day.

Happy reading.
Last edited by Stephen on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:00 am

hey Steve,

maybe you could edit that post a lil and from your opinion at your level rate the books from 1-10 or something so readers have a better idea of how you rate them all.

BTW thank you for the post on the books, very nice

and I will double check the status of the reef book