Star Fish Question

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Star Fish Question

Post by brianjoy81 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I just noticed that i have a baby star fish in my tank. From looking on line I think it is an "Asterina Starfish" it is small, white, has 3 normal sized arms, and what looks like 2 smaller arms on the bottom. Is this little guy going to eat my corals or are they safe for my tank. I also found 4 baby serpeant star fish. They seemed to be a crimson and white strip color. Every time I look at the tank I find something new!! How cool is that!

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: Star Fish Question

Post by Gerwin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:17 pm

I think everyone has them and have not seen them bother anything in my own tanks

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Make that 6 baby serpeant star fish!!!

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 am

That is what i really love about reef tanks things just seem to "magically" appear and start growing. For example i have a green curvy fuzzy thing growing out of one of my rocks that just appeared, it looks like a mixture between some kind of coral and a worm...I have no idea what it is..LOL. In my Nano tank i have all kinds of tiny white starfish looking creatures that just appeared a couple months ago it started with one then they seemed to multiply they crawl on my coral sometimes but they are not hurting them. same with my blue starfish i have in there, the worst he ever does is crawl around on my zoa's or star polyps and cause them to close up for a while. Hope this helps.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Plenty of things show up in the tanks from the live rock introduced...depending on where it came from, depends on what you may get! Me personnaly I have gotten some real bonuses! I have a 4+ inch Moray somewhere in my tank that came in on/in the rocks...you can see him in my facebook photos! Wish I could see him again but I only found him when I was moving the tank and took pics as proof!

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Wow that is an amazing find!

Can you post the facebook link? I would love to see him.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:47 pm

phisher wrote:Wow that is an amazing find!

Can you post the facebook link? I would love to see him.

Here you go!....wish I could find him....I havn't seen him since I let him out of the breeder net :(

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pi ... =fbx_album

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:11 pm

You will see him again when you are moving things around in your tank and he either brushes up against your hand or he bites you...... then if you are like me,,, you will need to check your drawers :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:41 am

Wow nice.

I got one as a hitchhiker in a used tank a bought years ago.

A store was closing down where I grew up and selling all his displays and remaining stock. He had several 55g tanks in the parking lot that were displays, still had crushed coral and maybe 1/2" of water in the bottom. I bought one and noticed a tiny snowflake eels in the bottom of it when we were loading it up. The tank was sitting in the hot sun all day and the water was so hot I could barely put my hand in it...no idea how it survived. I scooped him out into a McDonalds cup with fresh water and brought him home. Put him in my existing tank and and he recovered 100%.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:43 am

Phisher...that sounds awesome! I just had about the same thing happen w/ some fresh water angels! ...and Sandy... that's how I found him the first time ...and I about had to check my pants cause I KNEW there was only 2 engineer gobies left in the tank as I was moving thing to the cube...thought it might have been one of those creepy wors or a snake at a distance! ROTFL:lol:

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 am

Wow guys... LOl. I think i am going to be a little more observant when i stick my hands in my tanks from now on...LOL. My stupid clown fish scare me bad enough and I know they are there and probabally going to attack me! LOL.