acropora pest

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Archie
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

acropora pest

Post by Archie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:40 am

seems i have some new critters in my tank. found two of them on the base of blue tort.
it appears that they like to eat acros. it was clear they were working their way up the base
of my tort

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Re: acropora pest

Post by Sandy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 am

(In my best little green alien from the movie "Toy Story" voice) OOOOOOOOOOOO, that sucks!
Hope you don't find anymore of those little buggers!

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 am

just my luck those two were a mated pair :wtf:

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:30 am

Did you find out what they are called?

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 am

do believe they are Coralliophila abbreviata

found this article on noaas website.

http://coris.noaa.gov/about/eco_essays/ ... biota.html

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Coralliophila abbreviata
Latin for
Coral eating SOB

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:58 pm

i hope you get them all out that would totally suck to lose some coral because of them

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:51 pm

yet another pest has been discovered by a customer the AEFW (acro eating flat worm), if the identification is correct these can eat certain acropora corals, if correct it also means they may exist in our tank at the shop,
the danger to those with LPS is pretty much None but those with acro's should keep a watch for tissue necrosis. I guess a good coral dipping should be the new lesson for the day.
There are a number of villains for corals just as there is for fish, cats, dogs etc. this does not mean doom and gloom so much as wear a condom :thumbup: protect yourself.
How do we get them?
they can come along on the corals you buy / swap as well as in / on the live rock you buy. Pretty much any marine water not medicated could be carrying the pest or egg. I will load up on coral dip and run a special for a month or so, to make it a no excuses reason why you do not have the means to deal with any coral bugs you find. :thumbup:

don
Angel Member

Post by don » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:00 pm

:eh: whats a ACRO?

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm

don wrote::eh: whats a ACRO?
Acropora is a calcium carbonate based coral (stoney) from the Phylum Cnidaria. They are colonial with small polyps that have symbiotic algae that produce their energy thru photosynthesis.
See...guess Zoology class is paying off a little :)

Gerwin, I have no visible problems as of yet with my little beauty, I have Kent Marine Lugol's Solition...Is this what you are referring to? Will dipping my acro in this do ANY harm to my good residents like my female acro crab and my feather worm?

BTW I wouldn't mind having a stud for my little lady crab too! :)

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:31 am

acro short for acropora,

lugols will work but could do the worms in, crab will be probably be just fine, but the other coral dips will have the same result on the feather worms I fear.
Yes all our store corals are fine but we had a couple frags that had been around for months that started slow dying and C21 got them to recover, other than those which were in a rough shape already all else looks good here as well, growing even.
Best to be aware of things you can do to keep pests to a minimum, just like the little leather eating nudibranchs, acro eating snail and Zoa eating snail, and the Apstasia anemones, mantis shrimp and on and on.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Just trying to learn something here :) If you were to take the SPS corals out of your tank to treat them, not that I have any :( would you have to put the corals into another tank and then treat your main tank? Will the treatment for the main tank, if it needs a treatrment, effect any of the fish, shrimp, snails, crabs or softcorals that may be in your main tank.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Generally you don't treat the display, these type of products kill just about anything invert wise. If you catch it early, dipping pieces themselves a few times will take care of it.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm

:thumbup: what he says

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:39 am

I think I read some where that a Yellow Coris Wrasse will hunt them down, also a Six Line Wrasse, but read that a Six Line can be a bully towards other smaller fish.