Question about feeding Bubble and Torch Coral

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Question about feeding Bubble and Torch Coral

Post by brianjoy81 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:42 am

I saw something on line about feeding Bubble and Torch Coral. Is it necessary to feed them and if so do i put a choped up piece of shrimp on a stick and kinda move it around till it grabs it? Or is there some other way?

One more question! Im starting to catch alot of shrimp in my cast net out of the bay. Is it safe to put a live shrimp from the bay in my fish tank?

Archie
Discus Member

Re: Question about feeding Bubble and Torch Coral

Post by Archie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:07 am

yes, feeding lps is a good thing. i like to use cyclops and mysis shrimp. i thaw a couple cubes in a cup of tank water and feed with a turkey baster. shrimp is fine as long as your corals consume. i have seen them consume shrimp and then Regurgitate a few hours later.

i would be very cautious about introducing things caught in back bay or front beach for that matter. you could possibly introduce items in your tank that could be detrimental.

i would be putting shrimp in freezer for my consumption :D

sweetpea355
Swordtail Member

Post by sweetpea355 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:14 am

+1
took the words out my mouth :silent: :P :clap:

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:19 am

When do I squirt the food on them? Do I wait till night when the sweeper tentacles are out?

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 pm

night time is the best after lights have been off a few hours. that is generally when corals feed.
but can be done during daytime. just squirt a little on each coral to excite the feeding tentacles. wait a few then you can squirt accordingly to each specimen
i usually turn off pumps in tank when i feed like this.

happy feeding :mrgreen:

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:25 pm

I feed my corals about once a week. I like watching them eat :-) I have found corals in my tank that eat shrimp that i didnt know could, like my green star polyps can eat brime shrimp, thanks to gerwyn's reply to a post on here. I had an extra small piece of shrimp and decided to feed it to my frog spawn to see if it would eat it and it did, and by accident a piece of brime shrimp landed on some mushrooms and they curled up over it and ate it which i think is pretty awesome, so now i feed my mushrooms too!