Chalice Question

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Chalice Question

Post by Redfish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:18 am

I have in our tank an encrusting Montipora that has really taken off in the past few months (grown to over 5 times its size of a few months ago and is still growing) and have recently got another small frag (very smallll) of another encrusting Montipora. My question: Do you think that I might have some luck with a Chalice frag in the tank. Some of these Chalices can be rather $$$, at least the ones I like do :lol: don't want to buy one just to watch it die. I have read that Chalices like SPS like tank conditions and my tank is most likely far from that. Alot of soft coral and zoas, feeding Oyster eggs to the tank and reduced water changes, once every three weeks, and 6 cubes of Mysis shrimp a day for all of the fish in the tank. I know 6 is alot (3 in the morning 3 in the evenig) but 4 is not enough ( I think) I don't have any real big fish in the tank, just the Yellow Tang, but I have alot of small fish. In other words, not pristine water conditions for SPS corals.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Chalice Question

Post by Gerwin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 am

I do not see a problem. I have seen chalice in tanks with less than perfect conditions (high ammonia and nitrites and nitrates) make it where many other corals died in the tank also the most impressive one i have seen was in a tank of mixed corals and some vho lamps.. I think your placement should not be direct under the mh lamps and you will be fine.