skimmer upgrade suggestions

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
gbrendonk
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

skimmer upgrade suggestions

Post by gbrendonk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my simmer to a new one. My tank is 110 gal. And I have about 60 gal. In sump and refuge. So tell me your favorites. Make model size price whatever may be useful.
I don't want to break the bank but I want best I can get. Thanks for any help

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: skimmer upgrade suggestions

Post by Redfish » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:09 pm

I like the Reef Octopus skimmers, not the most high $$$$ skimmer you can get, but not the cheapest either. I would say they are a very good middle of the road, working mans skimmer. You didn't say if you wanted an in sump skimmer or an external skimmer, because of your tank size, I would say you wanted an in sump skimmer. For your tank size I would look at the Reeh Octopus 8" Pinwheel in sump skimmer OCT NWB200. This skimmer is rated for up to a 250g tank and they run about $280.00 or so.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:01 am

+1 on the RO units. I bought a RO HOB unit and it works wonderfully. I hung, filled it, pluged it, primed it and it was skimming within an hour. The thing I like most is that you don't have to adjust anything on it. I've always heard horror stories about adjusting skimmers--not with this one. When I one day upgrade tanks etc, I will defo get another RO unit. Another good thing is they are located in Slidell.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:56 am

the NW150 is rated for upto 150 gal and runs about 179.00 thats the one to consider on the low reef octopus and from there we have up to 400.oo