Bristle Worms

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Bristle Worms

Post by Redfish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 am

I thought I had a Flat Worm :x problem in my tank, after doing a bit of research, found that they are Bristle Worms, which it seems is better than having a Flat worm problem. The suggested ways that I have read :roll: to eradicate them from the tank is the ole Coke bottle trick and the other way that seems to be recommended the most, is to get an Arrow Crab. I have managed to catch one or two with a long pair of hemostats, but for the most part, these little buggers are fast and suck back under the live Rock before I can catch them. I have read that these crabs will nip at some soft corals but that they will do a number on the Bristle Worms and that they won't get along with my Coral Banned Shrimp, which I don't really don't care about anyway, stays under a rock and you hardly ever see him, I bought him because the wife like him. Anyway, Gerwin is the Arrow Crab a good idea, and if so, can you get me one, if so, order me one. I read :roll: Bristle Worms aren't a real big concern , at least for the ones that I think I have :roll: , but I just don't want them in the tank.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Bristle Worms

Post by Gerwin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:04 am

I would leave them be, they do a service and you will never get rid of them all anyways, but the other answer is yes I get arrow crabs and yes they will eat what they see, and have have seen them personally eat blue green gobies from my personal reef tank decades ago when I was less informed on such matters like you are now and felt I needed to get rid of them. After I pulled them back out and let the worms be I observed over the decades now never a issue with the worm.... you might say I am at peace with them and appreciate their duties on this world :)

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Bristle Worms

Post by Redfish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:02 pm

I did a bit of checking after I posted this and was waiting for your reply. It was the same as yours :D, the web site said that if some of them get to big that you could use the coke bottle trick and remove them and that your LFS would some times pay you top $$$$ for them. :lol: How about ordering me a Yellow Coris Wrasse and I will use that to try and help control them a bit.