ID...Pests?

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
FishVet
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon natural planted freshwater-extreme low-tech, small school of Black Phantom Tetra, (1) Anostomus

120 gallon reef-work in progress! Nothing alive in there yet...

ID...Pests?

Post by FishVet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:14 pm

So, yeah, I'm gonna continue to test this whole "no question is too basic" thing.

I'm seeing a variety of little tiny things coming out of my live rock, and it's pretty sudden. Since I'm sure nobody remembers, this is a pretty new 125g reef tank, only two bulbs running only about 4-5 hours a day. No corals yet. Only life is two damsels and a green chromis, snails, a shrimp, a vibrant colony of diatom, and these little things:

1. Little red worm looking things. Tiny, biggest ones 2-3 mm in length, most smaller, bright red/orange, sticking out of the rocks all over the tank.

2. Best described as little fans. They have a stem, then 3-4 little spikes in a fan shape from the "stem". 4-5 mm, also everywhere.

Three questions. What are these little things, are they bad or normal, how do I get rid of them if they are bad? Yes, I'll post pictures when I get home.

FishVet
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon natural planted freshwater-extreme low-tech, small school of Black Phantom Tetra, (1) Anostomus

Re: ID...Pests?

Post by FishVet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:14 pm

<<< Reserved for pics >>>

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Sorry, but without pics I can't fathom a guess. I do know that usually red "worm" things are bad, but without seeing them it would be tough.

Wish I was of more help.

Wes

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:48 pm

FishVet wrote:So, yeah, I'm gonna continue to test this whole "no question is too basic" thing.

I'm seeing a variety of little tiny things coming out of my live rock, and it's pretty sudden. Since I'm sure nobody remembers, this is a pretty new 125g reef tank, only two bulbs running only about 4-5 hours a day. No corals yet. Only life is two damsels and a green chromis, snails, a shrimp, a vibrant colony of diatom, and these little things:

1. Little red worm looking things. Tiny, biggest ones 2-3 mm in length, most smaller, bright red/orange, sticking out of the rocks all over the tank.

2. Best described as little fans. They have a stem, then 3-4 little spikes in a fan shape from the "stem". 4-5 mm, also everywhere.

Three questions. What are these little things, are they bad or normal, how do I get rid of them if they are bad? Yes, I'll post pictures when I get home.
more than likely Bristle worms and tube worms (little feather dusters) Leave them be :wink:

FishVet
Swordtail Member

Post by FishVet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Feather dusters...that's a great description! Thanks!

Now if someone could tell me where to get a float switch that turns on when the water is low and off when it's high, instead of vice versa, that'd be great :)

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Not trying to sound like a "smart ass" or anything, but did you try turning the float over? If you did and it still doesn't work,,, you can find one at Just Fish,,,, noticed one there while I was at the shop today.

FishVet
Swordtail Member

Post by FishVet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

I'll swing by and get one from Gerwin then. It was in the way the float was made...it was supposed to be tied down by the cord, so the entire thing floated or didn't, and a slider inside the float would kick on or off. There was no way to reverse it by securing it upside down somehow (I tried). It was the only kind Lowe's had.

I checked Home Depot out of curiosity, too, they had the same one. But even if they had one like I need, I wouldn't buy it. The owner of Home Depot is the owner of the Atlanta Falcons also, and I won't send him a penny of my money. Yes, I'm serious.

Thanks for the tip, Sandy!

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 pm

OOOOO,,,,, someone doesn't like the "Dirty Birds" :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:22 am

I like the way you think Fishvet. I couldn't agree more. Can't stand either one.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:08 am

hey I heard through the grape vine that every online fish store was based out of Atlanta and all local fish stores (except me of course) were huge Falcon fans :crazy: Just saying..

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:33 pm

:shock: Now it all makes sense!

FishVet
Swordtail Member

Post by FishVet » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am

Speaking of pests...

What's the difference between a dirty bird and a dirty bath tub?
A dirty bath tub has a ring.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm

LOL!!! WHO DAT BABY!!! :lol: :angel: