Center "brace"

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Center "brace"

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35 am

Gerwin, on my tank it has the center plastic that runs front to back that is the center support for the glass tops and el cheapo lights that come with a lot of tanks. This plastic blocks a good portion of my moon lights and as such causes a large shadow in the middle of the tank. Do you think I can cut the plastic out? I have a hard time believeing it's a true brace for the tank. I've had other opinions say don't do it (while sounding like a-holes :evil: ) saying my tank will shatter or at the least crack and flood the house etc. Also had people swear that ALL 55's are tempered. I don't believe it--plenty of drilled 55's around the world. Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks,

Wes

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Center "brace"

Post by Gerwin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:31 pm

you are correct there are tempered and plate glass 55's and some have tempered sides and plate bottoms,
I would not take out the center brace unless the glass was 3/8" thick, when you come by shop remind me and I will show you something.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

My added $.02: Center "braces" that are only a part of the plastic top moulding provide only a minimal structural function-- all glass tanks bow to some degree when full of water. Primarily, they're a resting spot for glass canopies. The tank should be designed with thick/strong enough glass for its size that it should hold water without any moulding at all. To achieve true structural function, a brace would need to be more like a piece of glass wide enough and thick enough that the amount of silicone between the ends of it and the tank's walls is such that its holding power exceeds the pressure of the water. Back in the day, such glass braces were common on large tanks because even quarter-inch thick glass canopies would droop without them, and no manufacturers had yet committed to the expense of molds for frames that large. Still, over time, they would often fail under the constant pressure, dunking glass tops and lights into the tank.

In your case, you could probably safely lose the "brace", if the glass is as stated above, but your issue then becomes how to deal with the glass tops, if you're using them, that is. A compromise in either case might be to drill several 1/4" holes in it to let some light through, instead of eliminating it altogether.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 pm

I believe that my glass is 3/8ths but I will have to measure. I'm 99% sure my tank isn't tempered. I couldn't imagine plate on the bottom, but then again, bottoms are drilled all day as well. I may come by this afternoon.

Doug, thanks as well for the advice. Your train of thought is the same as mine. I'm use to seeing the pieces of glass used as a true suport, but not plastic. I dont use the glass tops--gas exchange and getting to the tank being the main reasons.