spot feeding??

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

spot feeding??

Post by Chef Steve » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:11 pm

at the sale I was speaking to a few people about spot feeding my duncan coral. I have heard that most people do not do this. I was just wondering where i would get the food and what type should i get if i choose to do this. Roger already explained to me the ways to accomplish this. I noticed when I got home, after the heads opened, that there are seven heads. It seems to be healthy and doesn't look like it needs to be fed. Any help or advice is welcome.

brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: spot feeding??

Post by brianjoy81 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:20 pm

I fed mine mysis shrimp.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 am

I've heard mysis, cyclop-eze, coral feast and tons of other foods that people use including homemade stuff. I would imagine that as long as it's a quality food, it would be good.

Chef Steve
Discus Member

Post by Chef Steve » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 pm

I have heard people using mysis shrimp. Where exactly would I get this stuff? I have the frozen shrimp that I picked up for my goby and clown. Its in the frozen blocks, looks like a big pack of dentene ice. Ha Ha. Now are you guys using something like a turkey baster to feed or just the tube and top of a 2 liter bottle? I have not fed my coral or my bubble anemone, they seem to be doing fine right now, I just want to make sure I keep them healthy and get some kind of growth out of them.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Gerwin has the frozen cubes of mysis shrimp. When I spot feed my corals, I use a mixture of mysis and cyclop-eze(frozen or freeze dried). Gerwin has the cyclop-eze also. I use a feeding tube that is like a turkey baster that can be extended, got that from Gerwin. I just squirt the food out over the polyps real slow and the polyps will close when they catch the food. I also have some Coral Frenzy that I mix with tank water and feed the whole tank once or twice a week.
Hope some of this helps.

Chef Steve
Discus Member

Post by Chef Steve » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 pm

thanks, an of course all of this info helps.! I currently only have two pieces of coral. and I have noticed that they close a good bit. I will probably wait to spot feed when i get a few more pieces. Should I feed my bubble anemone or does my tomato clown take care of that? I heard that they sometimes feed their anemone.?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 am

its obvious when the clown feed it, so if it feed leave it be , if not you feed

Chef Steve
Discus Member

Post by Chef Steve » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Ha you speak in riddles.! Or is that part of the Ger-Rog rap song? ha ha

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

That is the wisdom of the "Master G" speak! :lol: :lol:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 am

I think he is starting to grow a "Fu Manchu" now. Yes, wise; wise indeed. :wtf: