a new beginning

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Archie
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

a new beginning

Post by Archie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:41 am

i am sure you are well aware that i had a major tank crash(what i thought was a tank crash due to my ignorance). i had lost a majority of my acros, due to what i thought was rtn. i was ready to throw in the towel, cause i had exhausted all my resources and knowledge that i gave gained in this for the past 30 or so years as an avid reef keeper. i mean i was banging my head against the wall, and even shed a tear or two. most people take our reef tanks inhabitant for granted, and that should be the case. i mean
these are god's creatures and serve a very meaningful purpose to us reef keepers. we as reef keepers do not understand how complex this ecosystem really is and we need to put forth the effort to understand this system. we as reef keepers need take every possible opportunity to care and protect these remarkable creatures.

with the support of my best friend, and knowing that i am not a quitter. we figured out what the issues was. it appears that i have an infestation of AEFW (Acro Eating Flat Worms). These flatworms are/is a serious threat to our closed reef systems. unfortunately due to my ignorance and that fact i could not get a grasp on the situation., i had let the issue manifest out of control.

guys/gals i can not stress enough the importance that we as reef keepers need to quarantine every piece of coral, live rock, etc. etc. before placing in your system. does not matter if you order on line, from a buddy's tank, or from the lfs. it is imperative that you need to make this part of your husbandry regimen.

it has been about a week since the realization of the situation. i am on a constant battle to remove this aefw from system. night after night of constant dipping of corals, using various sorts of treatments for these creatures. i will end this by saying, i will conquer and destroy these creatures.

thanks
archie

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo11 ... 050201.jpg
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo11 ... 050200.jpg
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo11 ... 050205.jpg

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: a new beginning

Post by Redfish » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Good to see you back with a post. Keep us updated on how the battle goes.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Sorry to hear what happened but glad to see that your back here

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:07 am

Dang Archie,,, Soryy to here about all the problems!
Let the killings continue!!! For the bugs that is!

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:39 pm

thanks, it is all good.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm

TMPCC (Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure) kills AEFW easily...make sure you also scrape off ALL eggs as well.

Nothing kills red bugs except for Interceptor.

I discovered AEFWs a while back while dipping a frag and Gerwin posted a thread about their possible presence and warned everone to take caution....let Archies experience be another warning....AEFW are no joke!

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Hey Arch, can you post some links to your pics using those CoralVue LED's (Coral Boosters) we were talking about the other day at the shop? Since your albulm is private I couldn't check out your photos.

Thanks,

Wes