Calcium in fish tank

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
rebecca
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Calcium in fish tank

Post by rebecca » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 am

I put a little piece of my bird's cuttlebone in the tank because I have baby trapdoor snails and they have cracks in their shells.
I read that this can be from not getting enough calcium.
The cuttlebone is rubberbanded to a rock so it sits on the bottom. It is like 1x1cm. (in the 20 gallon).
My question is.... will this calcium being introduced in the tank harm my fish or plants in any way?

Sorry if this is a dumb question... I just wanna make sure.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Re: Calcium in fish tank

Post by C-21 USAF » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 am

Botton line up front: I can't answer your specific question, but....

Calcium in pure form will not harm fish, but I'm not sure what your cuttlebone is truly composed of...probably not 100% calcium and that is what would worry me. Pure calcium supplements are pretty cheap and easy to obtain.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I've not heard of needing to supplement Ca in a fw tank, but depending on your ph the cuddle bone may not dissolve much or at all.

As mentioned supplements are readily available but I would use them very sparingly in fw.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:30 am

A little bit of calcium is good for y ou tank they need it too; BUT be careful because when i first got my tank from a friend they had, had to much calcium in it and it crusted to the sides and it was hard to get out. Take it slow and easy.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:38 am

C-21 USAF wrote:Botton line up front: I can't answer your specific question, but....

Calcium in pure form will not harm fish, but I'm not sure what your cuttlebone is truly composed of...probably not 100% calcium and that is what would worry me. Pure calcium supplements are pretty cheap and easy to obtain.
:thumbup:
phisher wrote:I've not heard of needing to supplement Ca in a fw tank, but depending on your ph the cuddle bone may not dissolve much or at all.

As mentioned supplements are readily available but I would use them very sparingly in fw.
:thumbup: