Rogers new Tank

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Rogers new Tank

Post by Redfish » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 am

I got to lay my eyes on Rogers tank for the first time yesterday, all I can say is Awesome and a must see for everyone. The quality of the acrylic tank made by Tenecor is second to none. What surprised me, which shouldn't have as the tank is around 375 gallons, I think, is how thick the tank is, it looked to me, to be around 1 inch thick. I do have a question though, The tank looked to have had a solid piece of acrylic for the top when made and then two entry points into the tank were routed out of the top, which means that the top is still covered about 50%, give or take, with an acrylic top. I know Roger is planning LED lights for this tank down the road, so my question: will the thickness of the acrylic effect the LED light penetration and the growth of any SPS corals placed in the tank? My second question that I forgot to ask Roger: Did you have to run any new electrical outlets to the wall that the tank is up against? I would think that you did, if so, what kind of power did you run to that wall?

Roger
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Rogers new Tank

Post by Roger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 am

The acrylic itself does not seem to cut down the light much, even with the t-5's im getting 100 par at the bottom. Only if algae starts to grow on the underside will it effect the par. As far as electricity goes no, the breaker is on the 3 bedrooms we never use so the tank has it all to itself :D

Roger
Swordtail Member

Post by Roger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 am

Oh and the leather looks great thank you its a monstrosity

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:15 am

Pictures!!!!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 pm

mini me wrote:The acrylic itself does not seem to cut down the light much, even with the t-5's im getting 100 par at the bottom. Only if algae starts to grow on the underside will it effect the par. As far as electricity goes no, the breaker is on the 3 bedrooms we never use so the tank has it all to itself :D
3 bedrooms you never use,,, Maybe you should start getting to work and start filling them up. 8)

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:41 am

on the lighting question

as acrylic is optically correct and allow almost 100% light transmission (when clean) its no problem. The tops on these tanks are solid for strength reasons and then the ports are cut in