So how do you tell which is the male and which is female ??

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

So how do you tell which is the male and which is female ??

Post by Gerwin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:26 pm

First you catch any fish in your net,
carefully remove it from the tank maintaining a moist net as not to stress the fish to much.
I like to kinda role the net between my thumb and finger back and forth gently. You must put this next to your ear, if you hear a rattle its 99% male.

Option number two, now the thing is some folks do not like getting their hands wet so above option is not a valid option, no worries...go to your medicine cabinet, and look for any common aspirin, preferably the 81 mg size ( fish are much smaller than human ;-). After feeding and just before you turn the lights off, toss one of the pills, watch carefully to see which fish runs over to consume it first, as this would be the female....as moments prior she was telling the male she had a headache and not tonight... 8)

Of course sometimes its color or fin / body shape that are the tell tale signs but these are just to easy.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: So how do you tell which is the male and which is female ??

Post by Gerwin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:29 pm

ps

you can try this technique on other critters as well from 2 legged up. just be careful as some can get a little upset! and I will not be responsible for any actions resulting in your harm or the test subjects by following my instructions :lol:

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 pm

:roll:

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:50 pm

:lol:

Craig
Guppy Member

Post by Craig » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Brittany said she would really try that lol.... good thing she doesn't read on here hahaha :lol: