Koi Pond????

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
richard
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Koi Pond????

Post by richard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Does anyone know exactly what is involved in setting up an outdoor pond. I have been thinking that I would enjoy the project. I don't want anything huge or extravagant, just something to put some Koi in and enjoy. What is inolved, price, etc...Also, I would be doing this on a budget, so it would have to be something that is a diy type of thing....thanks in advance.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Koi Pond????

Post by bluwtr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 am

There are several approaches and as with anything, you can spend as little (almost) or as much $$ as you want. The two basic ways are to buy and install a preformed pond such as those sold at Lowe's or you you can also use the pond liners that are basically large sheets of flexible waterproof fabric. The good thing about those is you can make almost any shape you want. Some people don't even install their ponds in the ground--the just take some sort of container and raise it and go from there. I've seen pics of the preformed ponds set up on landscaping blocks etc on patios and decks and even inside houses. They can be pretty much whatever you want them to be. Gerwin has a very nice pond and he can tell you what you need and how to do it.

HTH and good luck.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Koi Pond????

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 pm

well Koi grow large and you will need something bigger than the preforms, you also wanna go about 30-36" min. depth, it will help protect from predators and aid in some temp. stabilization in summer and winter. Liners are going to be the best bet and buy a good one, patching a pond is no fun. Mine is 10x12ft and I wish it was bigger. So pic your budget, come see me or post questions and I will give my thoughts for sure :)