Saltwater to Fresh

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Saltwater to Fresh

Post by Redfish » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 am

No its not my tank :lol: :lol:

The wife's son just got a pretty good deal ( $50.00) on a 150g tank and stand, no canopy, the tank has been water tested for leaks. The tank was set up as a Saltwater Tank by the previous owner and Glen wants to use it as a Fresh Water tank, and this leads to a few questions, the tank is drilled in both back corners. The back left hand corner has an overflow box with a missing PVC overflow drain pipe that would drain to the cracked sump tank under the stand. The back right hand corner of the display tank is also drilled, and just has a PVC return pipe in the hole, no overflow box around the return pipe. I guess the answers to questions I am about to ask would depend on what kind of filtration equipment he will be needing for the freshwater system. What would be best, remove the overflow box, silicone two glass patches over the drain and return holes in the bottom of the tank or leave the overflow box, leave the drain line and the return line to the display tank and set whatever type of filtration device that would be need for this tank in the sump tank area? Also what kind of filtration should he be looking to get for this system? At this time he has my old 55g freshwater tank set up and it has a HOB filter system on the tank and we have no clue what kind of system he will be needing for the 150g tank.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Saltwater to Fresh

Post by Gerwin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

wet/dry filters work as well with salt as fresh, so keep it like it is. If He does not want that type filter, still keep it so its there if he wants to go back salt and just plug the bulk head fittings....so simple. :)