Power Outages & Fish Tanks

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Power Outages & Fish Tanks

Post by Redfish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:25 am

When the power goes out at the house for prolonged periods of time, I have a generator , I fire it up to keep the tank oxygenated. I have been really lucky (so far) that the power has only gone out for short periods of time when I wasn't at home, I have my power heads are plugged straight into the wall outlet, power comes back on, the power heads start working again. I really want to deal with this problem a bit better than I have, so my question is this: I know you can buy battery back up for the Eco Tech Marine VorTech pumps, which is really great and buying one of these pumps with the battery back up is most likely the way I will go, my question, is there a cheaper way to go to keep the tank oxygenated when a power outage happens when you aren't at home? The EcoTech solution is most likely the best way to go, albeit the most expensive way, I guess not that expensive when you look at the big picture has to how much we have invested in our tanks. I just want to know what other choices we have, if any.

Shells
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Power Outages & Fish Tanks

Post by Shells » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:30 am

Hey Redfish,
there is also battery backed up air stones, I have two right now hooked up in my 150.
when the power goes off, they automatically come on. I learned the hard way with that
lesson. We came home from work one day to find the power off to the tank and a couple
fish floating and a couple on their way to floating. :( :o The breaker had tripped and
I estimated the power being off to the tank for about 8 hours. It was an expensive lesson.
Ger may have those air stones in stock...

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Sounds good, If gerwin dosn't have them in stock,,, he should,,, we all need them

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:03 pm

I Agree.. How much do they run?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:33 am

I have like 3 left 16.99

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:52 am

Can you give some idea on how the work or a web link, would one be enough for my 125g tank or do I need two or more.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 am

Redfish wrote:Can you give some idea on how the work or a web link, would one be enough for my 125g tank or do I need two or more.
I used one on my 180 during Katrina when ever I was not using my generator ( about 15 hours a day) no problems

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:33 am

I just went and picked one up. Although it isn't automatic to turn on when power goes out, I have trained my girlfriend on fish tank procedures and believe all is well