Adding water.

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Adding water.

Post by Chef Steve » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:38 pm

This is just a general question about adding water to reef tanks. If ur salt is in desired range, let's say 1.025-1.026, and ur water is about to be irritating and drop below the rim. (Gerwin cringes at this thought, as read from previous posts). Would it be better to add fresh ro water And drop salinity to 1.024 or make fresh salt water and keep salinity in desired range?

Dragont
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Adding water.

Post by Dragont » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 am

Wut I would do is add more saltwater but not fresh mixed to desired level. After each weekly water change I go ahead and rinse my container out and mix new saltwater for the next week. Throw in a powerhead and let it run for a week before I use it. I forget wut chemical it is that newly mixed salt releases but I know it's not good. Ammonia maybe? I forget where I read that from. Maybe this is the reason why gerwin doesn't want u using fresh saltwater.
Besides I don't see anything wrong with 1.024. Doesn't seem like much of a extreme drop in salinity. Should be ok eiher way.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:35 am

As evaporation happens you only lose freshwater because the salt doesn't evaporate. So if you are topping off evaporation, you want to use ro/di. You're salinity increases as the water level drops. So by adding more ro/di you are bringing the salinty down by diluting the saltwater back to the original level.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 am

On the other hand, if you're tank's water level is low due to using water for acclimation or some other reason then replace that with new salt water mixed to your desired overall salinity. If over time, your salinity levels have dropped due to salt creep you can bring the salinity up with slightly more salty water for top off, just go slow and don't move more than .001 sg in a single day.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:21 am

well said

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Understood. I dnt typically always add salt water just add water that will keep my salinity in same area. Sometime fresh to bring down and sometimes salty to keep the same. My skimmer pulls water and lowers levels so really that is only time I use salt water or as mentioned for acclimation. As for freshly mixed saltwater being bad, is there any truth to this? I normally have mixed ahead of time, just want to make sure. Everything seems fine thus far. Including the duncan that just popped five new heads lol

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Chef Steve wrote:Understood. I dnt typically always add salt water just add water that will keep my salinity in same area. Sometime fresh to bring down and sometimes salty to keep the same. My skimmer pulls water and lowers levels so really that is only time I use salt water or as mentioned for acclimation. As for freshly mixed saltwater being bad, is there any truth to this? I normally have mixed ahead of time, just want to make sure. Everything seems fine thus far. Including the duncan that just popped five new heads lol
It's a very minor issue. You most likely won't ever see the effect of using new saltwater. I have read somewhere about the potential for precipitation of some unwanted something. But the average hobbyist doesn't need to worry about it. Just make sure it's well mixed and no salt is still visible.