Hardhead Catfish

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Hardhead Catfish

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:50 am

Hey guys here is another creative side of me besides playing guitar. A little back ground first, I have been involved in painting items since I can remember. From building models in the 5th grade, to my year book doing a 1/2 page on my model building in my Jr year (it must have been a slow year for my school, lol). I have also done ceramics for years and purchase those pottery figurines at Michael's like the Santa's and painting them and giving them as presents. When I had a accident almost 3 years ago and injured my left knee again. It was during that time period while I was laid up I spent allot of cash for supplies and I got into acrylic painting. I have painted a few things, yet this is my first somewhat realistic living thing. This is supposed to be my catfish in my 100gal saltwater aquarium.

Only back ground and light line for fish

Start shading

Fish basically finished

Finished painting, just need to seal it and sign back.

guitarest
Discus Member

Re: Hardhead Catfish

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 am

Wow this is a tough room, 9 views and no comments.

Dragont
Angel Member

Post by Dragont » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 am

hey i like it dude.. i enjoy seeing others' art and creativity. but did u really post this at 4:50 in the morning??
tim

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah I did, my sleep rhythm is all screwed upright now. What I find myself doing now is taking a nap in the late afternoon early evening and if I wake up I usually cant get back to sleep.... So I have been going since around 3:00 am and I am starting to drag now.... lol

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Hey Jocko. Just got to see the pics because the filter at work blocked them. Looks great! Good job. :thumbup:

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 am

Dragont wrote:hey i like it dude.. i enjoy seeing others' art and creativity. but did u really post this at 4:50 in the morning??
tim

Young people :lol: ... Hummmm Here's a secret :shh: for you The older you :cry: get,,,,,the more you are up at two or three in the morning posting on your puter, then back to sleep for an hour or two ,,,, then up for a few hours till that mid day nap.

Your Hardhead Catfish looks good guitarest, I always wanted to draw or paint, My mom was a very good painter, but the artistic bug passed :thumbdown: me by and landed on my sisters.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 am

Redfish wrote:
Dragont wrote:hey i like it dude.. i enjoy seeing others' art and creativity. but did u really post this at 4:50 in the morning??
tim
Young people :lol: ... Hummmm Here's a secret :shh: for you The older you :cry: get,,,,,the more you are up at two or three in the morning posting on your puter, then back to sleep for an hour or two ,,,, then up for a few hours till that mid day nap.
Yup thats what I do for sure....

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:08 pm

I WISH I could take more naps!

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm not even close to y'alls age :lol: j/k and I have the same issues with sleep :( Sure it drives Ger&Rog crazy when I'm up there yawning all day :crazy:

Like how you photo-ed the steps of your progress...I need more patience to do stuff like that...probably would if I had more sleep :wink:

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 am

Yeah the sleep helps, not sleeping as much lately since I am spending more time fishing....

I use a barbless setup so my fish get let go 99% of the time. I saw a individual at the harbor dump 4 large Jacks in the water, dead and it upset me allot. WTF if your not going to eat the fish let the dang thing go before it dies.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:33 am

Chater bosts have been doing this for a long time. Catch fish like those really big Black Drums or Jacks, fish that most people don't eat. Hang the fish up when the boats come back in so others can see that they catch fish and maybe they might get anothr trip out of the deal, kinda a waste, at least they could do is use them for crab bait, or like you said, catch and release.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:58 am

Redfish wrote:Chater bosts have been doing this for a long time. Catch fish like those really big Black Drums or Jacks, fish that most people don't eat. Hang the fish up when the boats come back in so others can see that they catch fish and maybe they might get anothr trip out of the deal, kinda a waste, at least they could do is use them for crab bait, or like you said, catch and release.
Not this guy the fish were stiff and he loaded them into a wheel barrel and wheeled them to the harbor outside wall and dumped them into the water. They were still there today (2 days later) dead, floating and decaying. I mean come on wheres the sport in catching and killing without eating them. If your not going to eat them; release them. Want memories; take pictures....

Sorry its a soapbox point to me; even in my younger years if I caught something I tried to release alive. Most recently I have been barbless so the fish's mouth is not tore up and it can survive. I must be doing something right since the Sea Robin and both Sailfin Cats were caught on the hook and brought home and now live in my tanks.

Sorry venting about needless killing of fish....