I got these baby shrimps man!!

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Sucker_fish
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

I got these baby shrimps man!!

Post by Sucker_fish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 am

OK, a while back I set up a 29 gal biocube, I completely stocked it with everything via Gerwin. Two of the inhabitants are cleaner shrimp which were added to the tank about a month apart. Within a couple weeks of adding the second cleaner shrimp I noticed they were carrying eggs, however there were never any young shrimp which I assumed was due to the fact that for some reason shrimp was always on the menu on the exact same day for the other critters in the tank. Well after this never ending cycle has been repeating itself for the past year I am proud to say, my wife found, as she put it, "a whole bunch of baby shrimps in that thing with the needle thing in it thats on the back of your tank". She was of course referring to the in tank biocube hydrometer I have stuck to the back of the side glass. Apparently some of the shrimps actually made it to the inside of the hydrometer where they now hang out and feed off of the coral frenzy coral food whenever my wife feeds the corals. Hopefully in a few months when I return home I will have some new additions to the cleaner shrimp crew provided they survive that long, but hey they have made it this far and broken the never ending cycle of ending up on the menu before they are ever even seen.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: I got these baby shrimps man!!

Post by bluwtr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Awesome and congrats! Post some pics.

Sucker_fish
Swordtail Member

Post by Sucker_fish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I would definitely love to post pics but unfortunately I am deployed to the sandbox right now due to make it back in about 4 months, hopefully the little guys make it that long. I want to get the wifey to post some pics so I can see them as well but she seems to have lost her camera.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:28 pm

That is SO Awesome!!!!! :clap:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Well most important is you take care of yourself and come home to your family safe. Thanks for your service. :clap:

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:30 am

bluwtr wrote:Well most important is you take care of yourself and come home to your family safe. Thanks for your service. :clap:
I wil second that :clap:

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:57 am

I third it..... What so many do not understand is the commitment that the military requires.

Thank you for your service to this great country. Thank your wife also since she also has a huge part in it. I know my wife was unbelievably strong when I deployed for the first Gulf War.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 am

me 4th :thumbup:

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:32 am

Just thought I would add that since this was posted I saved a few of my captured glass or ghost shrimp in a 10 gal salty. Its been a few weeks and I have around 20 really small babies also; they are visible to the naked eye now yet do not take good pictures yet.

Sucker_fish
Swordtail Member

Post by Sucker_fish » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:40 am

OK i guess the babies didnt make it, talked to the wife and she had got some chaeto from gerwin and was going to try to catch the cleaner shrimps and put them in a small nano tank with just an air stone and the chaeto and a small piece of rock but was not able to catch them. Better luck next time

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Mine is a smaller tank with a air stone and a filter element wrapped and tied around the actual water intake of the 10gal filter. So its a slower intake of water and I just throw the filter element away when finished and the babies dont get suked in the filter system and turned into susi. I will try to photo mine and I just saw a flounder in the tank with them hanging on the glass. Dont remember putting him in there and no more mommy shrimps with eggs.... :(

Setting up a 40gal today for my female blue, according to my research they like to do deeper in higher salt areas in the winter. So what to do, crusin the coast shows with Blitz or set up yet another tank. That will make 5 salt tanks from 10gal to 100gal; it soulds like Gerwins shop with all the air bubbles..... lol