6g saltwater fluval edge build

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
drhuddleston1s
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

6g saltwater fluval edge build

Post by drhuddleston1s » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Gerwin,

I know you have been wanting to see pictures for a while. For those that don't know i have been been playing around with a 6g fluval edge that is usually used with fresh water. I have recently found some lights (thanks to Gerwin) that allow me to support a wide range of corals. http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... dleston1s/

The tank has currently been set up for around 2 months with the new led lights.

Current livestock
-2 yellow watchman gobies w/tiger pistol
-1 Rainford's goby
-5 astrae snails
-2 hermit crabs
-assorted corals

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: 6g saltwater fluval edge build

Post by Gerwin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 am

and they say keeping reefs are hard :-) you beat me by going 50% smaller than my tank! what would you say your investment is to the point where you are ready to put corals in?

drhuddleston1s
Guppy Member

Post by drhuddleston1s » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:52 am

Its not too bad if you cut out all the tinkering to find out what works and doesn't. The tank was $129 and i think you can get it cheaper now. what i had the most trouble with was finding suitable lights that would support my coral needs. I originally wanted to fit the lights under the small hood to keep it sleek and streamlined and looking like an art piece in the corner. What i found was that i could not supply enough light to support coral and it left shadows at the edges of the tank which wasn't pleasing. So still tinkering around with light i stumbled upon ant my weekly visit to your store which work amazing. The LED light bar i think was around $200 but there are cheaper was to go. last is a small heater which there are a few options. You can take out the stock filtration and add a small heater in the pump housing to keep everything out of sight but then your looking at putting a thermometer in view somewhere. my option was to get i believe a 50 watt fluval heater with a temp readout and warning system. the heater was around $50 i think. So to answer you question its not too bad. All in all $280-300 without sand and live rock. I also added a nano wave maker which was around $30 and i have been debating on a second one. It is a lot of work and some people may ask why not just buy a nano bio-cube. I waned to play around with something unique and how many people have a 3D aquarium that you can look in from the top as well as all the sides. When i get more time on land i do want to get another 29g bio-cube because i have something in mind for it.

drhuddleston1s
Guppy Member

Post by drhuddleston1s » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Well i got carried away and bought too many corals for my 6g and upgraded to the Biocube 29. here is a short video.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... 251d52.mp4

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:57 am

Very cool.