Algae from hell!

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Algae from hell!

Post by bluwtr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Okay, so Gerwin and Rog you guys know what I'm up against with this crap. Anyway, let me give an update. Both of the new urchins haven't shown much interest in the algae yet, but I'm giving them time regardless. I hadn't noticed my sea hare for a couple of days--found him in my filter sock today--alive. Move him back to the tank and he started eating and crawling so I guess he's good to go. The one large turbo I have seems to be nibbling on it as well. An interesting note however, is when my white lights went out and just my actinics were on, you could see the damaged algae where the hydrogen peroxide was placed. It turns a light pink instead of the deep almost maroon red. I may have to end up dipping each piece ( :evil: ) to kill it. REALLY don't want to break the tank down again.

The product the guy in Mobile mentioned Gerwin is Chem-Marine Stop Hair Algae.

Will update on Monday or Tuesday and thanks for the help.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Algae from hell!

Post by Gerwin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:41 am

I sold that product one time,
it wiped out the guys ref tank, I never carried it again...cant remember anymore who it was and it was several years back, but he was a regular, like you
and it had bad results...

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 am

How are your Nitrates and Phosphates?

What have you done so far to fight it? (are you sure it isn't bryopsis, looks just like hair algae)

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't use the product out of spite, because the guy was kind of an ass in his reply.

NO3 and PO4 are both undetectable and I just changed my GFO Friday. Running more than is needed as well. Yeah, it's not Bryopsis. It is a red hair algae, also know as wire algae (very appropriate). From my research I'm 99% sure it is Gelidium. It is a MF'r!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 am

This stuff must really be bad, can you get a pic for us. I know you don't want to, I wouldn't want to, take the tank down and be done with it. Just saying, even if you find something to kill it and it dosn't get it all, it might come back, then the battle goes on.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:13 am

Yeah, that is a last resort. I found on another forum a suggestion of using H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) to kill algae. The thread talked about dipping and systemic dosing. I started doing a systemic dose last Friday with little effect, however, I dipped a couple of rocks yesterday, and let me tell you, BAM!!! That crap works. Within an hour or so, the algae turned from deep maroon red to a fluro pink that actually glows under my actinics and moon lights. I even dipped the AOG palys and some zoas that were attached and they could have cared less. They didn't even slime. When doing the systemic dose, the only coral that didn't like it was my Goniopora. The polyps retracted for a few hours, but they are back out and happy today. I will still have to take a lot of the rocks out of my tank (almost a breakdown), but at least I won't have to get rid of the rocks themselves. I figure that once I get 90-95% of it killed my CUC should keep the rest under control, but if I can dip every rock I will.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:40 am

so did it die or just turn colors and the recuperate?

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:17 pm

DIED!!!! The colors go from deep maroon--light pink--translucent pink--clear---and gone. The urchins and sea hare seem to eat it more when it's dying as well. I'm sure it must be much easier to digest because I'm sure the cellulose is breaking down. Whatever the reason, it works.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:00 pm

An update on the algae. Today was WC day, so I added about 2.5 gallons of tank water to a bucket, dumped in a bunch of H2O2 and proceded to tear down my rock work and dip each rock for 3-5 minutes. I've put the tank back together as best I could with basically only a few rock back to where they were originally and all of my corals are doing fine except two. My Xenia and Goniopora are both looking puny, but in my research it seems that Xenia is the only coral that will die from the H2O2. I think the Goniopora is just pissed off. All of my SPS and LPS are happy as can be. The algae on the other hand is already dying. On some of my rocks this crap was really bad. On those I did a second treatment by holding the rock in my hand and pouring the hydrogen peroxide over it and letting it sit for a couple of minutes. Those pieces are showing the best results of them all. I can say how relieved I am being able to kill this garbage. BTW, both RBTA's are happy as well.

If anyone is interested in treating algaes this way, let me know and I will walk you through it.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 am

Do you have any before and after pics?

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Yes, kind of. I have some pics that were focused on something else and you can see the algae, but none of the results. I will try and get some up soon. Won't have a chance until Tuesday however. Below is the pic of before however. The entire tank wasn't this bad, but this is the one I speak of in the thread.