Box Filter?

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Box Filter?

Post by Jamilw1989 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:51 am

Hey Gerwin do you by any chance sell these or can you get me one? I was talking with my Pastor and he used to breeding angels and Cory's for a living a few years back and he suggested that I use that instead of a UG filter he said it would be easier on the fish and wouldn't disturb and of the eggs. Just wondering if you had a clue what they where. I looked them up online and they look simple enough but then again they didn't give much description of the filter and how it works.
Any clues?

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: Box Filter?

Post by Doug » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Box filters were just simple mechanisms that used air to draw the water thru filter floss and carbon. Back then it usually wasn't even activated carbon, but what we called "cheap charcoal", and its usefulness was dubious at best. Even so, many breeders used them successfully, if they understood their primary function was as a bio-mechanical filter and didn't change out all the filter materials in them at once. I would recommend a sponge filter, like a Jungle Dirt Magnet, if those are still around. The good thing about them is there's no way fry can be sucked into them. You can keep one running in the back of your main FW tank, and it will become biologically active. Then, when you have a spawn, you can transfer the slate with the eggs, the sponge filter, and water from the main tank to your brood tank, providing the least amount of shock. When the sponge becomes coated with detritus, you can clean it by gently squeezing and rinsing it out it some water taken from the tank for a partial water change, and it will remain biologically active.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Doug wrote:Box filters were just simple mechanisms that used air to draw the water thru filter floss and carbon. Back then it usually wasn't even activated carbon, but what we called "cheap charcoal", and its usefulness was dubious at best. Even so, many breeders used them successfully, if they understood their primary function was as a bio-mechanical filter and didn't change out all the filter materials in them at once. I would recommend a sponge filter, like a Jungle Dirt Magnet, if those are still around. The good thing about them is there's no way fry can be sucked into them. You can keep one running in the back of your main FW tank, and it will become biologically active. Then, when you have a spawn, you can transfer the slate with the eggs, the sponge filter, and water from the main tank to your brood tank, providing the least amount of shock. When the sponge becomes coated with detritus, you can clean it by gently squeezing and rinsing it out it some water taken from the tank for a partial water change, and it will remain biologically active.
Ok thanks Doug. I wasn't sure like I said I had never heard of them. I will look into sponge filters I have heard of those. I will do some research.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:30 pm

The wholesale operation I ran had over 600 tanks, all running Jungle Dirt Magnet filters, "senior" size, 2 per tank. Density in these 15-20 gallon holding tanks was usually the equivalent of 75 adult swordtails.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:49 pm

wow ok thanks. I am trying to get the final things ticked off my list so I go into the shop and walk out with everything I need to hopefully be totally successful at my new found venture.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:05 pm

sorry Jamie, I do not know how these topics get by me. Lucky we have other folks with experience to help out
yes sponge filters are great and we use them in the shop as well. AND I have them to sell.
The box filters are as Doug mentioned and we use to have those many years ago in all the tanks, pain to clean when you got a 100 of them. But they work and do allow for some chemical filtration.....but time has past them up and are rarely seen anymore.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 pm

its ok no problem.I picked a sponge filter up ther other day when i was looking for something on amazon.com. the problem is I don't have a clue how it works. its over my head. my dad doesn't understand it either. all i have figured out it that it won't work with out an air pump. i am confused completely.

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Air rising in the lift tube causes water to be drawn thru the sponge, in the same way it does in the box filter and with an undergravel filter. (Yes, before there were powerheads, UG filters operated on air pumps.) Nitrifying bacteria colonize the sponge just as they do the gravel in a UG filter. Solid wastes are attracted to the surface of the sponge, where they dissolve somewhat and are drawn deeper into the sponge to be broken down. Gentle rinsing in water taken from the tank removes excess particulates, but doesn't kill or impact the bacteria colony like chlorinated or even dechlorinated tap water would.

When you first put the sponge filter in the tank, you want to squeeze it under water several times to force the air out of it and water into it to get it "primed".

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 am

adding one note to what Doug said,
it is not instant filtration, those nitrifying bacteria are gonna take about a month+- to establish before the filter works at its best

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 am

Gerwin wrote:adding one note to what Doug said,
it is not instant filtration, those nitrifying bacteria are gonna take about a month+- to establish before the filter works at its best
Hence my earlier suggestion to keep one running in the back of the tank your breeders live in. A new sponge filter will cycle quite rapidly in that scenario.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 am

Ok thanks guys. Looks like i am going to need two air pumps that day when i come in not just one. but the tank i have that i can move them into is 10 gallons so i won't need another giant one.

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 am

In a shallow tank, the air pump requirements for a sponge filter are minimal. Spend the money on a quality small to medium pump, rather than a large cheap one.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Doug wrote:In a shallow tank, the air pump requirements for a sponge filter are minimal. Spend the money on a quality small to medium pump, rather than a large cheap one.
ok thanks doug