Dropping Nitrates

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Luis C
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Dropping Nitrates

Post by Luis C » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:19 pm

How does one go about lowering nitrate levels? My current set up is a 100 gallon reef with approximately 150 pounds of live rock and a 3 inch live sand bed. I have 1 Naso Tang, 2 gobies, 4 chromis, and two clownfish. I am running a protein skimmer and a sump (no bio balls). Water changes are about 25% done every two to three weeks. Top off and water change water is RO/DI. I also have a CPR aquafuge hang on refugium with caluerpa. I cannot get my nitrate levels below 20 ppm. The only thing I can think of is overfeeding? Are there too many fish in my tank?

Thanks

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:43 pm

It seems your maintenance plan is more than sufficient. What and how much/often do you feed?

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:01 am

what type of skimmer are you running? how much and type of skimmate does it produce?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:22 pm

I don't feel you have to many fish, so lets discuss your feeding habits...

what are you feeding, how much and how often?

and of course Doug and Arch's Q's.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:31 pm

Gerwin wrote:what are you feeding, how much and how often?

That was my question. :roll:

Luis C
Guppy Member

Post by Luis C » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:41 am

Okay..........I feed a variety of foods to include Omega One flakes, Formula Two flakes, Frozen Brine, Frozen Mysis, and Frozen Plankton. I also put in small pieces of Nori on a lettuce clip for the tang. I only feed once a day because the fish are all asleep and the lights are off when I leave for work at 5am. I really dont think I overfeed....I will put a few pieces of flakes in and wait for them to be eaten....then come back by and feed a few more. Same with the frozen, I dilute it in a cup and then feed with a turkey baster. The only time it may get excessive is when I am feeding the corals at night and some extra shrimp come out of the baster (on accident) and make it into the tank. As far as the skimmer, I am running a pro clear aquatic systems rated for a 150 gallon tank. It produces dark skimmate every few days. I did just order an Aqua C EV180 and it should be in soon.....I hear they are pretty good?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:41 pm

Doug wrote:
Gerwin wrote:what are you feeding, how much and how often?

That was my question. :roll:
i had your back :wink:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:44 pm

if your trying to feed your corals every night, I think I would back that down to about once a week. Your feeding by what you stated seems proper, I have however seen some tangs rip the Nori out of the clips and it just floats behind the reef structure, only to decompose and create nitrate.
Not familiar with the skimmers, sorry no help to you there.

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:18 pm

sounds like skimmer is working, and seems your feeding habits are not out of line. maybe cut back some and see if that lowers nitrates, if not maintain feeding habits as not to starve fish

have you checked your ro post water for nitrates???

how long has tank been setup, usually reef tanks take anywhere from 6 mths to 18 mths to become mature.

what type of circulation do you have ?

what type of live rock? premium, base, etc. etc. and how much of each if you have different types of live rock.

what type of test kit are you using. if using dip strips, i suggest a salifert test kit.

Luis C
Guppy Member

Post by Luis C » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:45 am

Archie,

I did a side by side comparison of tank water and the RO water. The RO water showed 0 nitrates. The tank has been set-up since May of 04. Right now, I have my return line using a SCWD (switching current water director) so I have a return in each back corner. I also have two power heads in there. I ordered three Maxi Jet 1200s and a Red Sea wavemaker and they will be in tomorrow so that will definitely add some movement. Live rocks consists of about 40 lbs of aquacultered rock from florida, I bought 25 lbs from gerwin (not sure what it is), 35 lbs from crystal reef (fiji) and also about 30 lbs from butler's (fiji i think). I don't have any base in there right now. As far as test kits are concerned, I use Salifert for Calcium and Alk, American Pharm for Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia, and PH. Red Sea for phosphates. None of them are strips. I am going to add some more live rock and macro algea and see if that helps. From what I have read, it seems like I am doing things right.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:59 pm

thats probably Aquarium Pharm., the dry tab? if so imo terrible test kit.

Luis C
Guppy Member

Post by Luis C » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:57 pm

It's not the tablets. It is a test tube with liquid drops. I have a feeling it is accurate just because I did a side by side comparison with my tank water and my RO water. The tank water had 20 ppm and the RO water had 0.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:22 pm

never heard of that brand, but your deductive reasoning is sound.