Who am I?

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Who am I?

Post by guitarest » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 am

Ok I originally thought this might be a remora, yet it does not look like he has that disk on his head to attach to larger fish. Also this guy walks along the bottom like the blemmies. He also has no problem hanging on to glass. Man I love these saltwater type sand walkers. They are fantastic fish. I also removed the toad fish from the 55 since my smaller fish were disappearing and he was gaining a good bit of weight. Hmmm I wonder how; well he is at home in the 100gal now with the sea robin. The toad fish has a place in the rocks that he loves to hide in. This weekend I purchased a dozen live bait shrimp; wow the tank came alive.....

Ideas?

When I caught these guys I originally thought they were croakers, now in tank since I purchased the 55, they do not have the small color bands of gold like the other croakers I have released after keeping them till they got to large.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Who am I?

Post by bluwtr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:03 pm

The pics are blocked here at work so I looked at them on my phone. From what I can tell the first one is a spotted goby--Coryphopterus punctipectophorus. If you can email me the pics I can make sure.

The second fish are silver perch--Bairdiella chrysoura. They are not true perch, but actually cousins to spotted seatrout and red drum. They are cool little fish but hated by fishermen because they steal bait a lot.

HTH.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks Wes, but not the guy in the tube and your correct he is a spotted Goby. The little one up front with the longitude stripes. And I am so glad you still hang out here, I hoped I could count on your vast knowledge base.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 am

Glad to be of service!!! LOL! :lol:

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:24 am

So Wes any idea who this guy is yet? If you go by colors he dos look like a Remore yet he does not have the sticky/suction thingy on his head yet.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:28 am

That's the spotted goby. I was never looking at the guy in the tube. Exactly where did you catch this guy?

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:00 am

BTW, the guy in the tube is striped blenny. I and another biologist here looked at the pictures again, and a couple of things stand out--first the upturned mouth and second the seperation of the dorsal fins. This would make it a spinycheek sleeper Eleotris pisonis. A spotted goby has the dorsals connected and the mouth doesn't turn up.

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I caught him a few weeks ago on that huge high tide, he was in a small hole that normally never gets water under some old hurricane damage from Katrina in Long Beach. When I saw him it was dusk and he blended quite well in the water and the trash (leaves and straw). I had no idea I actually caught him until I saw him flipping in the minnow net. He loves blood worms, and ghost shrimp and is getting used to tetra crisps food.

Thank you again.....