Live Rock for my Dead Rock

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Live Rock for my Dead Rock

Post by Redfish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 am

I am in the process of killing my live rock. In about a month I am going to turn it back into live rock and will be needing a few pieces of pest & aptasia free live rock to seed the old rock. I will need the pieces for a few months and it will be returned to you after the process is done. I am planning or making my modular live rock structures before they go into my tub to start the process. I don't have all of the supplies to make these structures yet, so it will be about a month before I need the seed rock. Some of the supplies have been ordered :D some are out of stock :( Now a question for the pros here :D Is seeding the rock really the best way to go. I know they have liquid bacteria products on the market. Could I use this and get the same result as seeding with live rock?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Live Rock for my Dead Rock

Post by bluwtr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am

I've heard good things about the liquid stuff, but I would still be leary of it. Maybe you could use the liquid as well as seed rock--I imagine that would speed the process, but there will still be die off and bloom until a natural equilibrium of flora is reached.

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Dr. Tim's aquatics has a good bacteria strain that was actually isolated from aquaria. It's called Dr. Tim's one and only live nitrifying bacteria. I used it and it greatly sped up my cycle!

I really wish this had come up like a week or two ago!! I cleaned my sump of like 15lbs of rubble that would have been perfect!!!

You really don't have to use anything though. The bacteria from the air alone is enough to cycle your tank in time. You can use completely dry rock, dry sand, and fresh saltwater, never add anything to it and it will cycle. As far as Coralline algae, that's easy enough. The first frag you bring in, will have it.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Scott Allen wrote: You really don't have to use anything though. The bacteria from the air alone is enough to cycle your tank in time. You can use completely dry rock, dry sand, and fresh saltwater, never add anything to it and it will cycle. As far as Coralline algae, that's easy enough. The first frag you bring in, will have it.
I didn't know that.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Sorry, but air borne bacteria won't seed a tank. Completely different family genus andspwcies, not to mention habitat.

I couldn't remember the product, but Scott is right. It is Dr. Tims. Mr Saltwater Fish had an episode about it.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:43 am

bluwtr wrote:Sorry, but air borne bacteria won't seed a tank. Completely different family genus andspwcies, not to mention habitat.

I couldn't remember the product, but Scott is right. It is Dr. Tims. Mr Saltwater Fish had an episode about it.
The strains are different, but the tank will cycle. I'll find the article if I can. But you don't have to "kick-start" a cycle. It will do it with no help at all.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 am

"The desired Autotrophic aerobic bacteria of nitrifying bacteria are present everywhere (e.g., in the air), oxygen and at least some moisture is present (not in areas void of oxygen) (reference: 3). It is important to note that although the desired nitrifying species of bacteria are “all around us”, they do not readily store in sealed oxygen free containers (dying rapidly without oxygen), and it takes some time for the sparse air born nitrifying bacteria to populate an aquarium or pond, so do not expect these bacteria to “magically” populate your aquarium overnight, even a re-started aquarium will need to be re-populated (please see cycling methods further down in the article)."

this is just one reference... But the bacteria is in the air...

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... Cycle.html

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Very good article and page, but I have to still dispute it for one reason--it seems the author is primarily refereing to FW systems. Given that I still don't think a SW tank could naturally develop a mircofuana and flora from the air. I will say however, that I am not an expert on marine bacterias so it very well could be possible. All in all, we agree that the best way to cycle a tank is through filter media, live rock/sand or one of the expensive products on the market.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 am

bluwtr wrote:Very good article and page, but I have to still dispute it for one reason--it seems the author is primarily refereing to FW systems. Given that I still don't think a SW tank could naturally develop a mircofuana and flora from the air. I will say however, that I am not an expert on marine bacterias so it very well could be possible. All in all, we agree that the best way to cycle a tank is through filter media, live rock/sand or one of the expensive products on the market.
Yes, it's much faster. I don't like using live rock because of the chance for unwanted pests... Gerwin knows what it's like to have an unwanted visitor due to some "nice" live rock! And live sand has such small amounts of bacteria in it that it's near useless... I would definitely get some filter media from Gerwin, or I can sponsor a sponge that I'm using as a splash guard. Using any of the aforementioned processes will GREATLY (like as in a month or likely more) speed up the process over the sterile tank waiting on airborne bacteria method. If you buy bacteria in a bottle, don't waste your money on anything buy Microbacter7 or Dr. Tims one and only. They are the only two from reputable manufacturers that has bacteria that were actually isolated and are proven to reproduce in aquaria.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 pm

I meant to go back and edit.... I really like the rock Gerwin is offering now. It's a man made rock that is cycled in closed systems to keep pests out. It doesn't hurt the reefs and comes with no unwanted hitchhickers and it's already cycled! (Not to mention it's colored so you don't have to endure a white/gray tank as long!)

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. I want to get this rock into a tub to start curing again but am waiting on some acrylic rods to come in, for the structures.