setting up a saltwater from a freshwater tank setup

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
zacattack
Minnow Member
My SetUp: 30 gallon mixed african cichlid

setting up a saltwater from a freshwater tank setup

Post by zacattack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible if i bought a freshwater tank with a freshwater hang-on-the-back filtration system to set up a SALTwater tank. It would be a 'fish-only' tank if I did. Is this possible? I've seen a few places on the internet where hobbyists said it would be possible but some said it's impossible. I'm not interested in a reef aquarium,just a 30 gallon or so setup with just small fish. Would this be a cheap way to get into saltwater and if so how can i do it? or is it just impossible?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: setting up a saltwater from a freshwater tank setup

Post by bluwtr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 am

Hi and welcome to the addiction. To answer your questions: yes you COULD do what you are suggesting--people do it all of the time; use a HOB filter to run a fish only system. As far as a FW tank, you can also use that. My reef tank isn't a drilled reef tank, but it's a PITA because I can PROMISE you, you will start adding more and more stuff and you will then say "well maybe just one coral--a softie--they're easy and cheap". Next thing you are getting a 2nd mortgage to buy a controller, Ca+ reactor, LED lights etc because you love Acroporas!

The best thing you could do is go by the store and talk with Gerwin and Rog and get their advice and suggestions. You can read a 1000 things on the net and most likely they will all be different. That's where problems come from--too many opposing views etc.

Over all I would say, yes you can do it and yes it is the most affordable way to get into this great hobby, but be forewarned--it really is an addiction. :thumbup:

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 am

How big of a tank are we talking about here? I really don't know how big HOB Filters come, you want to make sure you can get the right size filter for the gallons of water the tank will hold plus Bio Load. Let us know what size tank you are looking for and we could keep on the look out for you. Like Wes said, you can do this with the HOB filter, depending on tank size, its what I am going to do with my Quarantine tank, but thats only going to be 20g and will only be used for short periods of time. My suggestion, buy a 40g breeder tank, reef ready, try out the hobby, see if you like it. Then down the road, you can upgrade if you like the hobby, if not you aren't out that much money.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 am

zacattack wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible if i bought a freshwater tank with a freshwater hang-on-the-back filtration system to set up a SALTwater tank. It would be a 'fish-only' tank if I did. Is this possible? I've seen a few places on the internet where hobbyists said it would be possible but some said it's impossible. I'm not interested in a reef aquarium,just a 30 gallon or so setup with just small fish. Would this be a cheap way to get into saltwater and if so how can i do it? or is it just impossible?
you mean just like the ones I have running at the shop? :wink: Not a problem, come by and talk to us for the little details

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 am

Most of us did exactly that!! My first reef tank was also my last freshwater tank! You will need some live rock, some sand and a pump but you can still use your heater and the HOB (get some new media)

When you go to empty the FW system, just rinse the tank with some vinegar and don't reuse the under gravel filter if you had one. Gerwin and Rog will set you up. But who ever said "impossible" should be slapped. It's extremely possible and common. Just a little work.

zacattack
Minnow Member
My SetUp: 30 gallon mixed african cichlid

Post by zacattack » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Around how much would this cost me? a 20 or 30 gallon tank with everything i need to make it a saltwater?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm

assuming you have the filter, heater
you need sand, salt, hydrometer to get you started 40-60 dollars, the live rock is 5.99-6.99 a pound(about 25 lbs all at once or a little at a time), oh and a current generator about 27-50$ depending on brand

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 am

Gerwin hooked me up when I converted just like your doing. My problem was my large tank was destroyed by Katrina so I had filters and lights just no tank. They were older so I purchased one of his 100gal tank specials which was tank, filter, sand, salt, basically everything but the fish.

I now have 3 saltwater tanks (100, 55, 39) that have all native fish (locally caught off the beach) and the species range from Brown Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Robin Fish, Bill Minnows, Hard Head catfish, Sailfin Catfish, Glass minnows, blue crabs, hermit crabs and I could continue going on for a while. One thing I do know from experience now with the hanging filter systems they are not made for the amount of bio-waste my salt tanks have. I used to have issues with over crowding, and some of my fish have grown so large I actually have had to let them go. A great example was my Spade fish who was as large as a dinner plate, when he went number two is really put a strain on the eco system since he was so large.

The point I am trying to make and Gerwin or Wes please correct me if I am out of line; while its possible the dis advantages of the over the tank filter systems is that you will be swapping filters more often and it will be a expensive venture for the filter elements. I know in my 100gal I have two hanging filters a 110 system and a additional 55 system to really work at cleaning the water. My 110 has a sponge and its washable so not much expense there but I do clean it every week. The 55 system is a tetra and it needs its filters exchanged almost every week. So what I do now is for the hanging systems with the interchangeable filter elements I actually wash them really good after the first use and dry them out, exchange charcoal and reuse. It cuts down on the expenses for sure. Also the first few months until the tank gets stable is the most expensive and worrisome at least for me it was. Now my youngest tank has been established for over a year so they are all basically on auto pilot.

Listen to Gerwin and the others, these guys know their stuff, at one time Gerwin was on my speed dial (as was Wes). For me the difficult part was not over feeding them I have the 100gal in my living room and the other two tanks in my bed room so these fish watch me as much as I do them. The Sea Robin actually watches me very closely and if given a chance these guys turn on each other also. If it can fit in their mouth its going to get eaten. I had a female blue crab I usually know when they shed, didnt catch her this time. She became fish food real fast, only thing left was her empty exoskeleton.