Tank Progress

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Tank Progress

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:08 pm

OK tested water 5 minutes ago and here is where it says i stand pH somehere between 6.0 and 6.4 it the dye doesnt quite match either number its inbetween the Nitrites are 0 the nitrates are 0 and the amonia is a 2.0

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Tank Progress

Post by bluwtr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Test again in a couple of days and don't forget to feed just a tiny bit. The bacteria have to have a food source.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:12 pm

bluwtr wrote:Test again in a couple of days and don't forget to feed just a tiny bit. The bacteria have to have a food source.
ok just one or two flakes enough? i dont want the ammonia to spike again.
i have had enough up and downs i am so darn sick of it.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:32 am

Maybe just a dab more since it's a 55. I wouldn't add more than 6-8 flakes. All you are doing is adding an ammonia source to feed your bacteria.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 pm

bluwtr wrote:Maybe just a dab more since it's a 55. I wouldn't add more than 6-8 flakes. All you are doing is adding an ammonia source to feed your bacteria.
so i want the ammonia in there? i thought i wanted it to go away not rise? this is all to confusing.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:55 am

how is your dads tank?

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes you want the ammonia at first. Follow this link. It's from B&B Pet Shop in Mobile and it explains the aquarium "cycle". Should help clear up any confusion.

http://www.bbpetstop.com/The%20aquarium%20cycle.pdf

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Gerwin wrote:how is your dads tank?
Dad's tank is great. thats what annoys me the most. when his went down he drained everything and walked the tank out side sprayed it down with ice cold water brought it back in and took everything else outside and sprayed it down pulled his filter apart and scrubbed it then he put it back together it took him two days to refill it walking water back and forth from the sink he used API tap water condition then he let it set for 48 hours to let the heater work then he put his two angel fish and his groumi and one serviving tetra back in that tank and thinks are alright again. he went and bought a few platys and i gave him some of my many swordtails they decided to over populate my tank and he put two corys in there and an alge eater and his tank is running great again.
then the next day my 10 gallon crashed after his did so i took all the fish out and put them in my other tanks and dad took it apart and we found the problem really fast i dont know how it happend. but one of my guppies had babys and they went up under the UG filter and grew so big down there they couldnt get out and they died so thats where all that ammonia came from. so we washed it out put everything back in turned it all on put in API tap water conditioner and let it set the heater to warm up and then we put the fish back in 36 hours later after i knew that the water was the right temp.
this is what i dont get and its making me so so MAD i can move like that with my 10 and dad does it with his 36 took it down drained it did all that stuff to it put it back together and 48 hours later fish are in there living healthy and happy. I do that to my 55g and they all drop dead IT PISSES ME OFF!!!!! is it because its so much larger its going to take longer to work or what i dont understand.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 pm

bluwtr wrote:Yes you want the ammonia at first. Follow this link. It's from B&B Pet Shop in Mobile and it explains the aquarium "cycle". Should help clear up any confusion.

http://www.bbpetstop.com/The%20aquarium%20cycle.pdf
thanks wes