dad's 36 gallon

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

dad's 36 gallon

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 am

Hey Gerwin dads got a huge problem. all of his fish in his tank except his two angels and his groumi (can't spell sorry) dropped dead. he purchased a 10 gallon today and moved those three fish in there till he can get the other tank straighten out and then he drained it. and he is going to start over again tomorrow, any suggestions? any clues on what went wrong he has had that tank running for over a year and no problems and then all the sudden it all went to pot. he saw the water start to get really cloudy and then he started doing water changes 6 gallons at a time but it just got worse and worse. till today he woke up and all but those three were dead. well i think he may still have a tetra but i am not sure it looked pretty miserable.
My tank starts turning around and his goes to pot. my tank is half way through a second cycle run. we drained it and started over and things are going much better this time around.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: dad's 36 gallon

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:02 am

This is such a common problem, and the sad thing is I predicted it months ago.
Remember the day ya'll came to store and were discussing your problems with your tank and I was going over the water changes and importance of them etc. At that time you and Dad where telling me how he does nothing and all his fish are fine and he never has a problem like you, I recall telling you good ole fashion luck can not be discounted but it does not make it right. In the end no water changes and only topping off evaporation is just creating a toxic condition in the tank.
All he should need to do is no more than a 90% water change and use a gravel vac the whole time, refill with dechlorinated water bring a sample in or test his Ammonia/ nitrites/nitrates and he will most likely be ready to go again.
This time get him doing those monthly partials too :thumbup:

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 am

Gerwin wrote:This is such a common problem, and the sad thing is I predicted it months ago.
Remember the day ya'll came to store and were discussing your problems with your tank and I was going over the water changes and importance of them etc. At that time you and Dad where telling me how he does nothing and all his fish are fine and he never has a problem like you, I recall telling you good ole fashion luck can not be discounted but it does not make it right. In the end no water changes and only topping off evaporation is just creating a toxic condition in the tank.
All he should need to do is no more than a 90% water change and use a gravel vac the whole time, refill with dechlorinated water bring a sample in or test his Ammonia/ nitrites/nitrates and he will most likely be ready to go again.
This time get him doing those monthly partials too :thumbup:
i will try. he doesn't always listen to me but i will try. he still has his two angels an his guromi alive and well they are in a tengallon till the other one is safe. he did change all the water. took his gravel out and washed it then started to refill. it took him a while his tank location makes his harder to deal with. mine was easy pop my window and run a hose threw. he said he is gonna let it sit for a week then start with guppies.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 pm

hey G how much are the dividers for a tank dads size? we need to seperated his angels from his other fish. his male is going after his other fish he put his guromi in my 55g and it seems fine. but we need to seperate those fish. his female looks like she may lay eggs again soon.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:04 am

is it a bow front?

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 am

Gerwin wrote:is it a bow front?
not sure what you mean? its like bo shaped i will take a picture and post it

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:47 am

You just answered it for me.
no I do not as the bow from has a wider front to back than standard tanks. you will have to make one out of some egg crate or other such material.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 am

Gerwin wrote:You just answered it for me.
no I do not as the bow from has a wider front to back than standard tanks. you will have to make one out of some egg crate or other such material.
Ok dad said if we couldnt find the divider the minute he sees the eggs are on the slate and fertilized he will just take them out and put them into his ten gallon tank.