Reminder of caution with Zoas and Palys

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Reminder of caution with Zoas and Palys

Post by bluwtr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:04 am

This is a link to another forum for a thread on a guy who is lucky to be alive. Just remember that not all zoas and palys are this toxic but caution is always a good idea.

http://reeftools.com/live/forum/showthread.php?t=1593

brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Reminder of caution with Zoas and Palys

Post by brianjoy81 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 am

Now im scared to stick my hand in the tank!!!!

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

According to the dates this was a recent incident. I actually read an article about someone else boiling their live rock to kill off the zoas a good while back with just about the same results. The info is out there, people just need to be more aware of what they are getting into. I have also heard of someone fragging zoas, dropping one and the dog eating it before the person could get to it. The dog died. :(

Seriously, have you not worked in your tank moving corals around, fragging, and what not, then rubbed or scratched an itch only to have the side of your face and lips go numb. Yeah, been there done that also.
I have to wear cheater glasses as it is but now I also try to wear gloves and try to remember not to touch my face. The gloves also help keep the stink of some of the corals off of my hands. We just have to be careful.

Just my 1 1/2 cents worth. :D

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am

Palytoxins!

"Palytoxin is a very dangerous toxin; it is considered to be one of the most toxic non-peptide substances known, second only to maitotoxin in terms of toxicity in mice"

It can be absorbed through skin, but is most dangerous to any open sore. Interestingly it's not overly toxic if ingested. In high enough doses it can kill humans! But with a little proper care, we in the hobby are at very little risk.

Different zoas and palys have different levels of palytoxins so there is no way to know if yours are particularly toxic or not. Just be careful and cover any open sores and where glasses when fragging. The largest risk is fragging, them popping and squirting in your eye.