Seaweed feeding

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Dawgfan
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Seaweed feeding

Post by Dawgfan » Fri May 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Ok, so I put the seaweed in the clip, (for a Tang I added today), and of course it became saturated and started to break apart. The Tang is tearing up the little pieces and some of the big ones, blah blah. But the package says to remove the seaweed after several hours. There will be none to remove because it all broke apart and away from the clip, now it is flat against my overflow, blocking water flow, and other pieces floating all over the place.

Question is, I knew I'd get to it. Is all that seaweed going to foul my tank? I put about a 2in by 2in piece in the clip because I thought I would be able to remove it, no problem, in several hours.

Thanks folks.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Seaweed feeding

Post by bluwtr » Fri May 25, 2012 11:09 pm

An amount that small shouldn't be a problem for you tank as long as your skimmer is working etc. Next time try turning all of your pumps off for a bit and let it feed. The lack of current should keep it intact longer.

Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Post by Bud » Sat May 26, 2012 8:17 am

Also give the tang a little time to adjust and get comfortable. I roll mine up like a cigarette and put it in; it seems to hold together much better and my tang and coral beauty go to town. Within 20 minutes they have demolished the seaweed. The little bit of residue my filters and Skimmer seem to handle without issue. I feed the seaweed every 2-3 days. Good luck, what type tang did you get?

Bud

Dawgfan
Guppy Member

Post by Dawgfan » Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 am

It's a Yellow Tang. You still use the seaweed clip when you roll it up like a cigar, hu?

It's a small one in a 29 Bio Cube reef. Was at Gerwin's yesterday and eye balled that 75gal combo he has next to the register. I think we are going to be getting it after the first of the month to setup as a FOWLR. Can't wait. Will likely trander him to it when he out grows the the bio cube.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun May 27, 2012 6:18 am

yes role it for clip, also use small pieces , you do nto need to use nothing close to a full sheet :thumbup: