Mud crab or Rock Crab?

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Mud crab or Rock Crab?

Post by guitarest » Mon May 28, 2012 1:17 am

So the last couple of nights the low tide has been increasingly later at night and that perfect for me since it allows access to areas not normally in a few inches of water since the tides are out. I also use a small but powerful led headlamp so both hands can be used to catch my favorite fish (fin walkers like Gobies and Blemmies). A few nights ago I was in maybe 2 inches of water in a water socks and I felt something start climbing on my foot. Meet the newest member of my saltwater tanks; he is rather large and destructive so he pretty much gets a tank all to himself. This guy can easily break a finger or toe with those claws.... His tank mates are small brown shrimp and a few skillet fish; they are in there to eat the scraps this guy drops in the sand. Such a messy eater.........

So the question is; is he also a rather large Mud Crab or a Rock Crab?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Mud crab or Rock Crab?

Post by bluwtr » Mon May 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Stone crab. A small one, but that's what it is.

guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Mud crab or Rock Crab?

Post by guitarest » Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am

Well damnit Wes; I was wrong on both accounts...... lol. Hey I'm up to 4 tanks now; 100, 55, 39 and a 10 its a mini Seaworld I tell ya....

So Unsure of the breed of minnow but last week they were spawning or something; small maybe a 1.5 inches with a green stripe down their side. There was so many in the water I dipped the 5 gal bucket in the water and came up with around 5 minnows in the bucket; without using a net. I have noticed along the beach their are more brown or ghost shrimp than last year but have yet to recover to the pre BP spill amounts.