Hello

Take a moment to introduce yourself to the members of FishyStuff Forums.
Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Hello

Post by Doug » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:01 pm

I am from south LA, and was in the retail and wholesale pet business for 20 years.

I started with aquariums back in the early heyday of saltwater, just after it had become widely available to everyday hobbyists. Back then, a saltwater aquarium filter was an undergravel built into the tank using eggcrate lighting panels and glass uplifts, and powered by the then-ubiquitous Silent Giant air pumps. Badly wanting a marine aquarium, I made a barter with a local saltwater shop to work the summer break in exchange for some high-dollar accessories I just couldn't live without. Summer break turned into winter, and, five years later, I struck out on my own and opened a store. After a couple of uneventful years, I was offered and accepted a management position with an area tropical fish livestock wholesaler who soon grew into an extremely successful full-line wholesale pet merchandise distributor.

I have since left the pet business for the transportation business, of all things, and as a sideline/hobby, help create and maintain websites such as this one. Gerwin, your host and my former customer, has asked me to go even further here and share my decades of aquaristic experience as a moderator on this forum. Even though he was a royal pain in the ass to get an order out of every week for over 12 years, I still consented. :roll: