I'm New

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
jegoss
Guppy Member
My SetUp: 55 gallon........ Just setting up.

I'm New

Post by jegoss » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello everyone. I have decided to go from fresh to salt. I am looking for advice on where to start. I have a 55 gallon freshwater that I would like to c hange to coral. Any ideas on what to do first to get up and running.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: I'm New

Post by Redfish » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:17 pm

I would have a sit down with Gerwin and let him set you up with a plan. No since getting advice here and there, next thing you know you have a big mess. JMO welcome to the salty side :D

jegoss
Guppy Member

Post by jegoss » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm going to stop by there tomorrow. He was cloused today.

Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Post by Bud » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm

I did the same thing about 6 months ago. Followed G's advice and was able to use a lot of my same equipment and I have a healthy flourishing tank, knock on wood. He won't lead you wrong. Best advice I can give - patience. Good.luck.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:51 am

somehow this post got past my eagle eye :wtf:
If you came by I hope you got the info you was looking for, I may have been out of town but Roger was there and I know he was busy (at least thats what he told me.. :lol: )
If you have more questions come on by and like Bud said be patient, not only with the slat water but with getting our advice, we are happy to give it but sometimes you gotta wait a minute so we can give you the time.

jegoss
Guppy Member

Post by jegoss » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I came by last week and you guys hooked me up. :thumbup: I will be back in a couple of days. Just waiting for my lights to come in.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Take your time, do your research, ask lots of questions and yes Gerwin will not lead you wrong....(except he talked me into a 90 gal instead of a 150 for my apt and i have been regretting that for a while.) LOL Other than that 2 things that i wish i would have done differently bescides the bigger tank, is Get your rock just the way you want it before putting coral in the tank. Especially if you are going to chisel,reshape and sculpt your rock. and use gate valves instead of ball valves for your plumbing makes it easier to dial in exactly how much flow you want to go where.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 am

Gz28 wrote:Take your time, do your research, ask lots of questions and yes Gerwin will not lead you wrong....(except he talked me into a 90 gal instead of a 150 for my apt and i have been regretting that for a while.) LOL Other than that 2 things that i wish i would have done differently bescides the bigger tank, is Get your rock just the way you want it before putting coral in the tank. Especially if you are going to chisel,reshape and sculpt your rock. and use gate valves instead of ball valves for your plumbing makes it easier to dial in exactly how much flow you want to go where.
you looking for a non drilled 150¿ I'll trade you...also have a FX 5 with it :) pm or send me an E-mail...Jessi.montz@yahoo.com

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks, that is tempting, but i really Need a drilled tank.