help needed - fish trauma

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Jessi84
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

help needed - fish trauma

Post by Jessi84 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Anyone having a suggested treatment plan for me, please let me know ... My Columbian shark has a Huge gaping wound on its peduncle, below it's 2nd dorsl fin, I almost certain my snowflake moray got a old of it :shock: Thanks bunches! I have a picture but am not that successful putting them on here...I'll try though

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: help needed - fish trauma

Post by bluwtr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Jess, I would say either move it to a hospital tank and treat for any fungal or bacterial infections that MAY set in, or you can let it be and see what happens. I've caught a bunch of fish with sores that are healing fine in nature. If you can keep the fish in a low stress situation and feed it regularly, it should be fine. Now, if the wound is bleeding a lot, then that is another story.

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks Wes :) It's one of the toughest fish I've had, sure it'll be OK...just worried cause of how big the wound is...no bleeding though it's pretty deep :(

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:26 am

It should be fine then. Just keep a close eye on it and like I said, as long as it is eating well and acts normal should be nothing to worry about. If it does start to seem puny, put it in the hospital and get some meds from Gerwin. Then you have to feed it Jell-O and other crappy food as well AND you have to wake it up every 2 hours for temperature, blood pressure and Tylenol! You know, just like a regular hospital! :lol:

Jessi84
Angel Member

Post by Jessi84 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:43 am

:clap: :lol: ...and guess you can't sleep either :( ...found this totally awesome treatment used on koi...involves powdered denture cream and antibiotics packed into the wound after anesthesia and cleaning/drying the area. I can get the link...

http://jnfkoifarms.com/symptomsofkoi/ko ... ments.html

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:24 am

LOL! Just my normal routine--up early--bed late. And I wonder why I'm tired.....

Anyway, wow, that is some treatment regime. Personally I would be worried about 1) putting all of that stuff into a tank, and 2) sedating a fish for that long and 3) keeping the fish out of the water that long.

Since the wound is at the tail, I really wouldn't worry about it. From what you described it sounds like a nip more than a bad bite. Post a pic and see what others say.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:13 am

up early not late, yeah antibacterial is the route and clean tank

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 am

So why do they call it a Columbian shark when its a catfish? Its very much like my sailfin cat I caught in Long Beach.