Tank Update

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Tank Update

Post by Redfish » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:23 am

These are all of the pics I have right now. Wes bluwtr did the sump and Top off tank work. Like I said before, hes the man if you need anything done :D

New 20 amp outlet for the tank

Drilling holes for the Light Hanger before putting back on the stand. Is this a good idea
to put a back on the stand?

The plastic cartons, represent the height of the tank on the stand

40 gallon Breeder sump

Top Off Tank

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Tank Update

Post by Redfish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Well my first mistake, my first of many to come I am sure. I bought a piece of 3/8 inch plywood for the stand top and two 1/4 inch sheets for the floor and the back of the stand. The 3/8 is fine but the 1/4 just isn't think enough, went back and bought 1/2 inch. No big deal but it was a $40 error. I got three coats of a water repellant white sealer primer on all three boards so that hopefully, weather permitting, I can get all three borads on the stand this weekend and move the stand into the house. Does anyone see a problem with having the stand enclosed all the way around, guess I should have asked this question earlier? I need a place to mount all the equipment, MP40 controls, Apex Controller, power strip etc. mounting them inside the stand on the back wall is the only place I can think of putting them. Thats the reason for the thicker plywood. Any suggestions or does this sound good?

Archie
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Archie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm

stand looks racked? or maybe optical illusion. yes, 1/4" way to small for supporting sides of a tank that size. should have used 3/4"

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Concrete slab is a bit messed up, but it is a bit lower on one corner. Hope some shims can take care of that. I finished it today, for the most part, now just have to get that heavy sucker around the house and in the door.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

I pretty much finished the stand yesterday, going to be a beast to get it in the house. I went ahead and enclosed the back of the stand. I will have to cut out some holes for the power cords, I was thinking of installing two cut outs on the back for two fans (one on either side of the stand) one pulling in air and one blowing air out from under the stand. Lucky I made the stand 6' long for the 48" long tank, the 40 breeder sump takes up most of the room under the display tank section of the stand, the top off tank may have to go under the quarantine tank section. I will post some updated pics after I get the stand into the house. When I say finished the stand, I mean just the frame part, the wifes son will skin the frame for me, no telling how long it will take him to do that though Still have to cut out a hole where the overflow pipes will come thru the stand and have to install a small shelf for the Bubble Magnus dosing pump. The stand is pretty level with out shims, the back left corner is a bit off, but not much, the bubble in the level is just touching the line, will recheck it after I get it in the house. All in All, for me and my limted carpentry skills, it turned out pretty good, the wife was even kinda surprized :lol: Guess I can start installing all of the equipment under the stand now.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:33 am

You will probably want to add those fans to the bottom of the stand. It will help keep Co2 levels down in the sump and keep the PH up. I have always heard to leave the doors open on stands to help battle the nightly ph swing as is with an open back stand.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am

For the pH swings, macro and reverse lighting helps greatly. I think it's a great idea to add the fans and I would suggest the inflow fan at the top and the outflow at the bottom since CO2 is heavier than air. This would help facilitate reduction of CO2 inside your stand. Would also help with heat exchange to a degree.

The stand looks great so far Pete. Let me know when you want to get it inside and if I'm in the area I will swing by and give you a hand with it.

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:57 am

fans in stands are good idea for air circulation, but not for co2 to impact ph values. most homes are co2 laden anyway. the only way to reduce co2 in a home is to open windows and doors. if your co2 levels are that high in your stand, you have other issues

i have never had macro algae and reverse lighting have a influence on ph. like to know what ph values you are experiencing with this process.

unless you have an extremely low ph, the ph value in my opinion is a moot point.

its all about alkalinity and calcium

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Some good advice from all. We pretty much keep the doors in our house open if we are at home :lol: our dog likes coming in and out and I am to lazy to keep getting up to let her out. Going to try and get the stand into the house tommrow, if I do I will post pics tommrow evening, if you don't see the pics I am most likely at Biloxi Regional :lol:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

The point of using the macro and reverse lighting is not really to adjust pH but to stabilize it. The macro and reverse lighting are trying to counteract the natural swing of pH at night. It just helps minimize that swing which helps stabilize the system which of course we all know makes for a happier tank.

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:31 am

glad it works for you.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 pm

New pics from today

Few of the Goodies

Also got the manifold made today, not glued, just pieced together

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:50 am

Gerwin, I would like to order another pump for my skimmer, can you get one of those for me? Skimmer is about 5 years old, want it running good when the new tank is up and running.

bluwtr
Discus Member

Post by bluwtr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Pete, the stand looks great! Glad to see the ATO and sump fit perfectly and that the skimmer is just right for the sump. Great looking build buddy, keep it up. :thumbup:

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:34 am

Got a few things done yesterday after I got the shed cleaned, sure is nice to be able to walk :lol: around in there and find things. Ok, I got the shelf for the dosing pump installed and have the dosing pump setting on it. I installed the shelf on the back wall behind and above the Top Off tank and have the 3 jugs for the Mag., Alk, & Calcium setting below the shelf between the Top Off tank and the back wall, the 3 jugs fit in there like the space was made for them. Read my Tunze Top Off system book, pretty much have that figured out and it will take 15 min. or so to set that up tommrow. Then the biggie :roll: :roll: The Apex Controller, shouldn't be that :lol: hard, Iam not turning it on, just placing all the stuff in the stand.