big leak

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

big leak

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am

hey Gerwin. do you sell aquarium sealient? my 5 gallon leaks bad. i cant fill it all the way up like i am supposed to cause it just pours out around the black stripping. i need some help.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: big leak

Post by Gerwin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 am

sold last bit Sat, have more on thursday, but its almost cheaper to buy new tank. 10 gal tank is 12.99 , tube of sealant 6.99.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

Gerwin wrote:sold last bit Sat, have more on thursday, but its almost cheaper to buy new tank. 10 gal tank is 12.99 , tube of sealant 6.99.
do you have 5 gallons? cause it sits on my night stand next to my bed all i use it for is to move my sick fish to when they need treatment so i don't harm the other fish.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 am

not in traditional tanks , but I have a variety of designer tanks that are small, such as sponge bob tanks, glo fish tanks and such that are small

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:24 am

Gerwin wrote:not in traditional tanks , but I have a variety of designer tanks that are small, such as sponge bob tanks, glo fish tanks and such that are small
Ok thanks it seems to be ok as long as dont fill it to the top. i leave maybe an inch off the top and it doesnt leak. so i guess its better to just leave it the way it is and remember not to fill it up because when i do i loose half the tank volum.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Even with all side seams intact, an all glass tank can still "leak" if the top frame is not properly sealed all the way around. What happens, if the tank is filled too high, when surface water is pushed by a powerhead or filter outlet even higher, it can cause capillary action to channel water over the top of the glass, under the frame and down the outside. The best height to fill a tank in that case is just even with the bottom of the outside of the top frame, and then redirect pump outlets so they don't cause surface waves. Removing a poorly sealed top frame to fix this problem can be a real pain, and risks breaking glass on a small tank. Running a bead of silicone up around the inside of the frame may stop it, but it's usually a temporary fix. Plus you'd have to take the tank down and clean and dry it well to get the silicone to stick in the first place.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 pm

ok thanks guys.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:17 pm

ita leaking again and this time i cant find the source but my floor around where it sits is soaked. i will have someone drive me down to your shop either this tomorrow or next thursday to get the seal for it but first i have to find the leak i dont know where its coming from. but now i have to clean my carpet its not fair i thought i stopped it :x