300 DD

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: 300 DD

Post by Redfish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:13 am

Is this the week the tank is supposed to come in ?

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:33 am

It was supposed to Maeineland called me direct to explain they were out of trim and would be an additional 2 weeks G man is supposed to let me know. Still have plenty to do finish electrical, and base. Program lights. Plan tank swap party.......

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:10 am

:( :( :(

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

Such is life of a big tank! I remember Roger waiting so long on his he was ready to give up!

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Since you already have the stand and not the tank, you have an excellent opportunity to make sure you avoid the disaster that happened with a 300 tank I helped install about 30 years ago. It was a 300 gallon all glass O'Dell, 96Lx24Wx30H. The stand was custom built, 36" tall. When put in place, on a tile-on-slab floor, it rocked a little bit, from corner to corner. We chalked it up to the carpenter's garage floor being a little unlevel, or the wood warping a bit. If a 300 gallon tank full of water were put on top of it, we reasoned, it would have no choice but to level out. About a year later, at about 2:00 a.m. one night, the front right hand seam started to open up, and within a few minutes, the tank emptied down to all but about 6" of water. It was later determined that there was a hump in the slab right where the tank was placed, and the stand wasn't warped at all. But the tank did make it conform to the hump, and over the course of a year, the tank, literally twisted slightly lengthwise, could no longer stand the constant pressure and split. So you may want to check the spot you have picked out for the tank, and do like wood flooring installers do and stretch a chalk line across the area and corner to corner to make sure it's absolutely level, or if you need to take steps to make it so.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm

so right now I envision about 120 folks on their knees putting levels on their floors :lol:
Doug and his scarey stories :shh:
But it is a good point
Shims do a great job of filling that gap under your tank or your stand!

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am

Being an old SOB with #2 son who is a commercial electrician :mrgreen: and #1 son that is a trim carpenter :mrgreen: . I have 2 20 amp dedicated GFI Circuts being installed this week :clap: . The stand and its 12" platform is being shimmed to level. I looked at the level and thought it was good #1 sees it off by almost 1/16" over 6 feet :crazy: and says it is too much... we have to shim the stand....We anticipate re shiming once the weight of the tank hits the stand but will have to see. The 3 foot direction was level according to #1. If nothing else I taught them both to be extra cautious and to take pride in what they do.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Now you just need a son #3 that is a plumber and you are super set!!

I can't wait to see this project come together! It's going to be a real dream tank.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:34 pm

O yea I didn't tell you about son #4 his name is Gerwin the ACE plumbers friend :clap: :mrgreen:

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:14 pm

So since I have had assistance in how to's here is how the sump will go together.
This sump an Aqueon 3 will be on the back right of the tank 12" off the floor.
The Skimmer and all returns along with the reactors will go Front left one side will drain into each box with the Marineland 4 holding both mag 12 return pumps.
The bottom you see here will be cut out to lower the sump 12 inches to the floor so the Aqueon will gravity feed into it.
ATO will be from a 29 I have not cleaned up and placed yet but there is still a lot of room under there.
Scale is hard to show this is 53" tall and 36" wide
Lights are being debated may scrap the canopy and suspend them from the ceiling.
Or custom bend a 12" wide acrylic arch and mount them to it. Got time so why not.
I am still open to suggestions. The custom sump and ATO unit is still on the back burner tentative Dec. 2012 :thumbup:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:10 am

look at all that stuff

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 am

The pictures look good, but your doing something, I don't know what, but there is a better way. You can have the pictures bigger so that you don't have to click on each pic after you post it to make it larger. When I go into my Photo Bucket album and hold my mouse over the pic I want to post, a box will appear with 4 sub boxes. Email & Link, Direct Link, HTML Code, IMG Code. Click on the IMG code, it will then say copy, then click onto the Forum page and it will put the link there, when you hit the post in the forum page the pic will appear there and it will be bigger than the ones you are posting now. Just a thought here, I would fast track the ATO system if you can, its the one thing on my system that I love the most. I could do without the Neptune Apex, but the ATO, best money I spent on my system. With a 300g plus system, you will love it.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:39 am

ATO is one of the least efforts at this point I have an Elos set that is plug and play just have to locate the 3 different tanks and fill em up. I may be missing something on it but do not think so.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 am

OK so I'll try another image got a few valves today. Top of canopy 4 radions laid out and handfull of valves.
Still cannot get it to show as a large image. sorry. this is a 32mg image so can't be size uploaded and has both "r's" in the code.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Wish I knew you were going to get that PVC fitting for your manifold, I could have sent you one. I bought one also for my manifold, but decided against using it for several reasons, ended up just piecing one together out of PVC fittings. Bet U can't wait for that tank to come in :D