bio cube

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
bndrinkin
Minnow Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

bio cube

Post by bndrinkin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 am

just setup a 29 gal oceanic bio cube. water test at ph8 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20. Tank has been up for about a week 20 lbs live rock and 30 lbs of live sand, stock carbon filter and a bad of chemi-pure. can i remove stock carbon filter since i have a bag of chemi-pure in there now? is it safe to add fish yet? also does anyone else have a 29 oceanic? the reason i ask is b/c i have been searching on mods of this tank. i removed the tab between chamber 1and2 to allow more water flow. i am adding a inTank media and fuge ket next week with filter floss and pirigen and chemi-pure. i will need to remove the false floor in chamber 2 for this to woork. does anyone know where i can get about a 6inch heater to heat the 29 gal tank b/c i anm having issues removing the false floor in chamber 1.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: bio cube

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 am

I am no pro, but just to give you a quick answer. I would go see Gerwin at the store, he stays to busy to answer the questions you have on the phone. Am sure he will have the heater you need along with anything else you might need.

drhuddleston1s
Guppy Member

Post by drhuddleston1s » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I have had a 29 biocube for around 4 years now. Its not enjoyable to wait but i would give it 3 weeks. I'm not sure if your tank is completely stock or if you have added extra filtration. I would defiantly recommend a good protein skimmer. I run a Tunze 9002 skimmer and i also upgraded to led lights. I would remove all the bioballs in the back compartment in order to keep the nitrates down. I removed the stock filter pad and carbon and added a larger bag of activated carbon. In place of the floss filter you can buy a sheet of it and cut it to size for particle filtration. Depending on what type of fish you want damsels are very hardy for a test fish rather than something expensive.

drhuddleston1s
Guppy Member

Post by drhuddleston1s » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Here is a video of the skimmer that Gerwin hooked me up with.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... G_0571.mp4

bndrinkin
Minnow Member

Post by bndrinkin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:50 pm

i switches to 2 30 pae boostleds lights, i removed the bio balls, pulled the tab from chamber 1 to 2 to increase flow, i ordered an inTank media and fuge basket stock with chaeto, upgraded to hydro pico evolution mini pump only 8w and 300 gph, also added koralia nano 240. i have no fish yet. hopefullyt soon

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 pm

bndrinkin wrote:i switches to 2 30 pae boostleds lights, i removed the bio balls, pulled the tab from chamber 1 to 2 to increase flow, i ordered an inTank media and fuge basket stock with chaeto, upgraded to hydro pico evolution mini pump only 8w and 300 gph, also added koralia nano 240. i have no fish yet. hopefullyt soon
Be patient adding fish. You don't want to cause extra algae problems now by stressing the bio load too early. When you do add, start with a clean up crew then each week add one fish per week (smaller fish) or wait 2-3 weeks or more after adding multiple fish or a larger fish. The bacteria that makes keeping aquariums possible build up to match the level of the current bioload (number of fish and amount of feeding). So after you add more fish, you don't have the bacteria to support them until they catch up to the new higher bioload. So if you add too much too fast then you could cause algae problems and hurt/kill your fish and corals.