Charleston Prices

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Charleston Prices

Post by brianjoy81 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Y'all are lucky to be able to shop at Gerwin's. The prices here in Charleston are ridiculous. Just Fish was my first LFS so it is my gold standard. The store here charges $29 for a normal run of the mill clown fish. $12.99 per lb for live rocks. They wanted 29 for a little quarter sized frag of green star lol. I can grow green star polyps in a mud puddle. Gerwin you were spoiling me in Biloxi and I didn't even know it. I know this is an expensive hobby but atleast Gerwin made it halfway affordable!!

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: Charleston Prices

Post by Doug » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 am

Are they the only shop in town? Sounds like a serious lack of competition to me. Where I live, 35 years ago (yes, I am that old) there was a shop, the only game in town at the time, that sold carpet anemones for $80. After two more saltwater shops opened, carpets amazingly came down to a more reasonable $30.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 am

Sounds like an opportunity to me, I would be setting up a large frag tank and start making a few $$$$. The only thing the LFS will be selling at those prices is must have, right now stuff. I would bet that the more you get into the local saltwater community, you will find alot of reefers selling and trading, frag swaps if you will. Who would buy live rock at $13 a pound that you can order on line for $6 a pound and have it at you house in 2- 3 days, bet he dosn't sell much live rock.

brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by brianjoy81 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:09 am

I bought a couple rocks just to throw in the tank to get the process started while I figured out what I wanted to do. I ended up ordering some from online then I had a few left over from Gerwin's. They were dried up from the move but now they have coraline algae growing on them and all kinda life on them. There is a second store here that goes in and out of buisness but it looks shady. I have a 2nd tank set up. It is just a little 14 gallon oceanic bio cube. I might just take your advice and buy a few coral trays get a bunch a frags on line and start growing them. What are some of the faster growing corals? Starburst are super fast. Zoa's are some what fast.