Acan

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Acan

Post by brianjoy81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 am

Why are Acan's so expensive? Everywhere I look online the prices are high. Are they just the flavor of the month or are they just rare? Don't they grow pretty fast if you target feed them? I remember Duncan Coral prices use to be crazy but now they are not bad.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: Acan

Post by Gerwin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 am

they come out of Australia, and they grow well but not like Duncans, so its gonna be a long time before you see their prices go down, and the rare ones are not that common, driving the cost even more.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Chalice prices have went thru the roof, so I think alot of people have moved to acans and driving up the price. At some point in this economy, prices will start to come down :) or not.

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm

I bought a Duncan coral from Gerwin's back when he had the after hours get togther sale. It had 3 heads when I bought and when I moved it had about 10 heads! I like buying coral that I can actually notice growing. Do Acans grow pretty fast?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Mine are growing fairly well. I got two in August and they were doing very well, then I had some chem issues and everything stunted. Then an urchin knocked one lose--it landed next to my scoly which promptly attacked it. It had 6 heads before and came out with 2.5. It now has three heads that are growing. That happened in January if I remember correctly. The other one has added 1 head (I think), but the origional heads have more than doubled in size. I sometimes spot feed them, but mostly just let them catch whatever floats through the water. I've read that they respond well (like Duncans) with constant target feeding, but I just don't have the time.